Call of the Blue-headed Vireo (Gail Menk)

  • franrutkovsky@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2008
      posted for Gail Menk:

      RE: CALL OF THE BLUE-HEADED VIREO

      On 12 FEB I heard the call of a Blue-headed Vireo at
      Black Swamp Nature Preserve, i.e., "shu-shu-shu-shu"
      which I have heard not infrequently during fall/winter
      in the Big Bend Region. Years ago Henry M. Stevenson
      identified that call for me which was later cited in
      the Stevenson/Anderson "The Birdlife of Florida" (S & A).
      It is a clue to the unseen presence of the Blue-headed
      Vireo UNTIL around the second week of March, when the
      Yellow-throated Vireo arrives in our region and renders
      a most similar call which perhaps is indistinguishable
      from that of the Blue-headed.

      I cannot reconcile myself aurally to the phonetical
      transcription in the Sibley "Guide to Birds" (c. 2000)--
      --"ship shep shep shep shep shep shep shep" which the
      author in turn likens to that of a Yellow-throated Vireo.

      S & A credits "shu-shu-shu-shu" of the Blue-headed
      to Aretas Saunders ("A Guide to Bird Song", 1935)
      and I wonder (as I wander) as to why said call has not
      been cited in such field guides as those of Peterson,
      Robbins and Kaufman.

      Aurally yours,
      (Mr.) Gail E. Menk

      --