Audubon field trip, St. Marks, Jan. 19

  • franrutkovsky@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2008
      posted with permission of the NFLBirds listowner:

      January 19, Saturday: Field Trip
      Apalachee Audubon Society
      www.apalachee.org

      St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge (NWR)
      Birding with Jim Cavanagh

      Enjoy outstanding St. Marks NWR winter birding with volunteer Jim Cavanagh.
      First, we will visit ponds and the lighthouse area including the dike marsh. Expect
      to see shorebirds, ducks, sparrows, and raptors. For those who wish we'll then
      move on to walk an 4 additional miles around Stoney Bayou 2. Jim says a Vermillion
      Flycatcher usually appears soon after starting this portion of the walk! Participants
      may depart the group at any point.

      Meet at:

      Wachovia Bank on S. Monroe St. at 7:30 AM --to carpool.
      Or meet about 8 AM at NWR between Stoney Bayou 1 and East River Pool.

      Expect to be done by: 11 AM or 1 PM for extended walk

      Cost: $5 per vehicle. No extra cost for passengers.

      Level of difficulty: Easy until 11 AM. Moderate last 2 hrs

      Be sure to bring:

      Binocs, field guide, insect repellant, water, comfortable walking shoes, light lunch if desired.

      Further information, contact:

      Melissa Forehand, birdingtreefrog@... --about carpooling
      or Jim Cavanagh, jim.cavanagh@... , 850-562-1533

      Julie Wraithmell, publicity chair