Sapsucker

  • jelangley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2008
      An adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker has been hanging around the
      neighborhood the last couple of winters.

      I hear his mewing call often, but yesterday was his first visit to my back
      yard, that I know of.

      He seemed attracted to the bird bath/mister and suet cake attached to a tree
      trunk.

      I have posted two photos of him to my album on the website.

      Janeen Langley

      Northeast Tallahassee

    • Cavanagh, Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
        This is the first time the first New Years' day bird sent me to the books. Outside my window in an Oak tree
        was a very brightly colored Sapsucker so I checked the upper nape and found a suffusion of dull light red.
        After checking Sibley I caught a side view of the red throat and noted that it probably has a complete black border. As Sibley says there is some overlap in plumage of Yellow-bellied and Red-naped. I suspect this is mostly a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

        Feel free to roam if you wish. It was last seen heading for the tall trees (south) near the pond.

        Jim Cavanagh
        3950 Beollac Rd., Tallahassee