A posting from Gail Menk

  • Harry Hooper
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
      From Gail Menk,

      On 1 August, Linda Most reported 2 Swallow-tailed Kites (1 immature included) flying over FSU, another individual there flying eastward on 2nd Avenue. Also on 1 August, Rob Lengacher saw an individual over north Wakulla County where Sean McCool had previously "had a screeching ["juv"] being fed in a pine tree about a week ago".

      On 13 August, Linda reported approximately 12 STKIs flying low over a highway in Jefferson County, and on that same day, Rob pitched in with 2 individuals over Tallahassee's Capital Circle. Indeed, it pays to bird via the auto.

      Last year I saw individuals hovering over Tallahassee on 4 & 5 August, which was followed by reports via Bob Henderson of 2 such raptors over the city on 8 August and another by yours truly on 10 August (my to-date latest-ever fall record). And in Georgia, I spied an individual flying over S. Highway 319 on 5 August during return from Jack Dozier's funeral in Thomasville (JD would have been interested).

      Leon County's latest-ever known autumnal record is credited to James M. Stevenson on 16 August, 1969.

      Interestingly, most reports this August have been inland and along with such reports ranging from 1 - 13 August for the last 2 years as cited above, afford one locally an indication of when to anticipate typical eastward/southward fall migration of the species. Always fun watching.

      (Mr.) Gail E. Menk

      Harry Hooper
      Tallahassee, Florida

    • Linda Most
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
        Thanks to Gail (via Harry) for collating our various
        STKI sightings this past month. Put together as Gail
        has done the sightings do provide a real sense of the
        birds' movements. I'm making a note in next year's
        calendar to watch for them in late July through
        mid-August.

        And yes, birding by auto is great fun, just need to
        pay attention to the traffic at the same time. Down
        in the south part of the state I used to have fun
        sorting out black and turkey vultures and checking for
        hawks when passing the various landfills and other
        vulture assembly points. You've got to be quick to
        spot the hawks and not drive off the road!

        Linda Most

        --- Harry Hooper <sn_egret@...> wrote:

        > From Gail Menk,
        >
        > On 1 August, Linda Most reported 2 Swallow-tailed
        > Kites (1 immature included) flying over FSU, another
        > individual there flying eastward on 2nd Avenue.
        > Also on 1 August, Rob Lengacher saw an individual
        > over north Wakulla County where Sean McCool had
        > previously "had a screeching ["juv"] being fed in a
        > pine tree about a week ago".
        >
        > On 13 August, Linda reported approximately 12 STKIs
        > flying low over a highway in Jefferson County, and
        > on that same day, Rob pitched in with 2 individuals
        > over Tallahassee's Capital Circle. Indeed, it pays
        > to bird via the auto.
        >
        > Last year I saw individuals hovering over
        > Tallahassee on 4 & 5 August, which was followed by
        > reports via Bob Henderson of 2 such raptors over the
        > city on 8 August and another by yours truly on 10
        > August (my to-date latest-ever fall record). And
        > in Georgia, I spied an individual flying over S.
        > Highway 319 on 5 August during return from Jack
        > Dozier's funeral in Thomasville (JD would have been
        > interested).
        >
        > Leon County's latest-ever known autumnal record is
        > credited to James M. Stevenson on 16 August, 1969.
        >
        > Interestingly, most reports this August have been
        > inland and along with such reports ranging from 1 -
        > 13 August for the last 2 years as cited above,
        > afford one locally an indication of when to
        > anticipate typical eastward/southward fall migration
        > of the species. Always fun watching.
        >

        > (Mr.) Gail E. Menk
        >

        > Harry Hooper
        > Tallahassee, Florida

        > removed]

        for the Ivorybill:
        Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul --
        Emily Dickinson