The Birds of August - A Gail Menk Submittal

  • Marvin & Jerilyn Collins
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2007
      On 17 Aug, I was delighted to observe 2 juvenile American Robins in my back yard, and on 21 Aug, I heard a White-breasted Nuthatch trumpeting nearby. I now consider the latter species a most viable "residential" in my neighborhood.

      A singing Swainson�s warbler at Robert White Williams Birding Trail on 20 Aug was a first report for said month at the site where the species has been recorded previously during April, May, and June (2005 � 2007).

      Presumed migrating hummingbirds (non-male plumage) have been reported at RWW probably attracted by timely blooms of scarlet morning glory (Ipomea hederifolia). I�ve heard that nectar from such flowers provides a quick energy for hummers � a "jumpstart" to pursuit of more staple protein diet (bugs) in the immediate environs which afford these birds the needed energy to fuel their exhaustive autumnal trans-gulf southbound migration to Middle America.

      On 22 Aug, I saw 2 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks fly up from San Luis Mission Park, likely a new species for the park. I speculate that the above birds were possibly the same ones that have been in the nearby backyard sanctuary at Jim Cavenaugh�s residence (Lake Susan) on Bellac Road. Black-bellieds have now been reported in at least 10 sites in Leon County. They get around.

      On 23 Aug, 2 immature Black Terns were "skimming" at Swan Lake (Springhill Road Sewage Treatment Facility).

      On 24 Aug, I witnessed a gathering of various migrants foraging in the trees at Lake Jackson�s Crowder Landing, including 2 female Summer Tanagers, app. 4 Eastern Kingbirds, a female Blue Grosbeak, a yellowish Orchard Oriole, a Yellow Warbler, and a male Hooded Warbler. Not far off, 2 Cooper�s Harks were perched and assessing the situation. A Glossy Ibis also was sojourning in the area.

      Later that day, 2 callow Gray Catbirds were in the bushes at North 27 Landing where the species has nested since the 1980�s.

      Happy August

      (Mr.) Gail E. Menk

    • speedyg
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2007
        There was a flock of eclipse-plumaged Green-winged Teal in the nearly dry
        Stony Bayou #1 at St. Marks this evening, the first southbound waterfowl
        I've seen this fall.

        -S.P. McCool
        Wakulla County, Florida, USA
      • Jim Stevenson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2007
          Wow, very early!

          I wonder how early they've been photographed.

          js