Wednesday at SMNWR

  • Marvin & Jerilyn Collins
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2007
      Yesterday (7/25) Ed Woodruff and I spent most of the day at St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Our concentration was mainly on shorebirds but we got a total of 69 species for the day. Shorebird activity seemed concentrated at Tower Pond - due probably to the very low water levels everywhere else. The Stony Bayou 1 Dike is still under repair and the water body has been temporarily dammed. Highlights:

      White Pelicans - 50++ at Picnic Pond
      Reddish Egret - 3 at Stoney Bayou 1 (SB1)
      Yellow-crowned Night Heron 1
      Black-crowned Night Heron - 2 adults; 1 imm in SB2
      Roseate Spoonbill - 3 at Picnic Pond
      Swallow-tailed Kite - a goodly number flying east of SB1
      Mississippi Kite
      Red-shouldered Hawk - An immature was perched on the railing outside the Visitor's Center and looking in with apparent curiosity
      Purple Gallinule - only saw one at the "twin dikes" but this is one more than I had 2 weeks ago
      American Coot - only one observed at SB2
      American Oystercatcher - 2 in Lighthouse Pond
      Black-bellied Plover - 7 pretty much scattered all over
      Semipalmated Plover - 18 mostly in Tower Pond
      Wilson's Plover - 6 five in SB1
      Dowitchers (presumably short billed) - about 55 mainly in SB1 and Tower Pond
      Whimbrel - 1 each in Lighthouse Pool and SB1
      Greater Yellowlegs 21
      Lesser Yellowlegs 10
      Spotted Sandpiper 8
      Willet 150
      Ruddy Turnstone 16
      Red Knot - 8 in Mounds Pool 3
      Semipalmated Sandpiper 4
      Western Sandpiper 6
      Least Sandpiper 16
      Peep sp. 100+
      Dunlin - 1 in SB1 in alt. plumage
      Stilt Sandpiper - 1 in alt. plumage [Thanks to Andy Wraithmel, whom I should also note was very helpful in differentiating Semipalm, Western, and Least Sandpipers. He has, evidently, learned to tell the damn things apart!]
      Black Skimmer - bunches in Lighthouse Pool
      Common Nighthawk (beep!)
      Belted Kingfisher
      Prairie Warbler