St Marks - Black Tern

  • Tracee Strohman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2007
      Got a lifer at St Marks today! What a handsome bird the Black Tern is - I don't think I could've ID'd it if it weren't in breeding plumage. It was repeatedly flying over the long stretch of roadside channel before HQ Pond.

      At the lighthouse mud flats were clumps of shorebirds including Red Knots and Black Skimmers. 1 Least Bittern. At Stoney Bayou shorebirds gathered in good numbers and a couple E Kingbirds chased off an Osprey. 1 Glossy Ibis. Finally ID'd the female Yellow Warbler after 3 previous visits and not getting good enough looks. Lots of Wood Storks.

      Closer to the Welcome Center I became entranced with the couple dozen Swallow-tailed Kites wafting over for a few minutes, 1 Miss. Kite. I turned my head to see 4 White Pelicans come in for a landing. Sweet!

      Tracee Strohman