Miccosukee Greenway

  • Tracee Strohman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2007
      After bicycling, Fred Dietrich and I checked out the nearly dried up Welaunee Pond near the Edenfield entrance as daylight faded. We were treated to close up views of E Bluebird and E Kingbirds pairs. The water yielded Killdeer, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Green Heron, Little Blue Heron, and Red-winged Blackbirds.

      There was a White Ibis flyover (25?) and then we spotted a pair of Blue Grosbeaks hanging out in the same binocular view as the bluebirds and kingbirds. A hawk or owl flew a short distance in the trees and soon a Cooper's Hawk (I'm guessing) flew across the lake harassed by Common Grackles. Then we saw a Great Horned Owl perched a distance away, well attended by a persistent but ineffective red-winged blackbird.

      An Eastern Towhee vocalized over the Mockingbird din and the Purple Martins were very active with their gourds nearby.

      Earlier on our ride I heard Summer Tanager, Pine Warbler and N Parula. An exquisite outing.

      -Tracee Strohman
      TLH

    • Tracee Strohman
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 18, 2007
        Took a short bike ride from Edenfield west today. Down near the watertower they have bulldozed a new road that goes all the way east to Welaunee "Pond". The Eastern Phoebes and Palm Warblers were scattered along that road. Saw E Bluebirds, of course, and Catbirds. Heard Pine Warbler and White-eyed Vireo. There were Amer Crow and Blue Jays along the way and 6-8 N Flickers flushed as well.

        Tracee Strohman

      • Andrew Lantz
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 8, 2008
          Gail Menk and I hiked a few miles in the treacherous conditions this morning and here's what we came up with:

          Great Egret
          Canada Geese
          Wood Duck
          Black Vulture