Eagles etc.

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002
      Had two Bald Eagles soaring overhead a few minutes ago, trading verbal
      insults with the local pair of Red-shouldereds.

      The parulas are singing, so are the yellowthroats...spring has sprung (even
      though it sure feels like summer already)!

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

      ---
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2002

        This afternoon we went up to Lake Jackson in search of Pectoral Sandpipers
        and Snow Geese at Faulk Dr Landing. We missed both, although we did find
        quite a few snipe. No, we didn't have to hunt for them. ;-)

        However, at Sunset Landing ("Snapper's - Tallahassee's Only Waterfront
        Restaurant") we found not one but two Pectoral Sandpipers, that flew in as
        we were watching the vultures and crows chow down on some unseen carrion
        (dead fish?).

        Another interesting sighting was in Wakulla County, on Bloxham Cutoff Rd
        (SR-267) just east of Springhill Road: three mallards (one hen and two
        greenheads) in the ditch on the side of the road (and they wern't farm
        ducks, either)!

        Finally, the Yuk Dux at Lake Ella were determined to show everyone that it
        is, indeed, spring...and there will be a few more Muscovy x Mallard (Pekin,
        actually) hybrids in the world in a few weeks.