SE US Nightjar Survey needs FL participants (fwd)

  • Scott Borderieux
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2007
      Scott Borderieux
      border@...
      Tampa, FL

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:25:01 -0400
      From: Mike Wilson <mdwils@...>
      To: nflbirds-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: SE US Nightjar Survey needs FL participants

      Dear North Florida Birds Owner:

      I am writing to ask if you would be willing to post the message below on your
      listserv. Thank you for any consideration.

      The Center for Conservation Biology at the College of William and Mary would
      like to invite Florida birders and conservationists to participate in the
      Southeastern Nightjar Survey Network. The network is a group of conservation
      minded citizens working together to improve our understanding on the population
      trends of Whip-poor-wills and Chuck-will's Widows by conducting standardized
      population surveys.

      The Whip-poor-will and Chuck-will's Widow are two of the most enigmatic birds
      in North America. Very little is known on basic aspects of their biology,
      habitat use, and population status due to their cryptically nocturnal
      lifestyle.

      In recent years, conservationists and the general public have come to share a
      general sense that populations of these two Nightjars are declining
      dramatically. However, prior to this program, there was no widespread or
      long-term monitoring strategy to gather vital population information. Gaining
      an understanding on the precise magnitude and scale of population changes are
      critical if we are to plot a course for conservation.

      The Southeastern Nightjar Survey is a new monitoring strategy designed to
      collect and analyze data annually on the population distribution and trends of
      Nightjars throughout the southeastern United States. Nightjar survey routes
      are distributed across ten states including; Alabama, Florida, Georgia,
      Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and
      West Virginia.

      Nightjar Surveys are standardized counts conducted along census routes at
      night. Observers count all Nightjars seen or heard for a six-minute period at
      each of 10 stops along the route. The entire survey will not take much more
      than one hour to complete. We have designed a series of routes in each state
      based on the existing BBS but also have provided methods for interested
      participants to create their own route.

      The success of this program relies entirely on volunteer participation. Please
      consider adopting a Nightjar Survey Route in your area. See the Southeastern
      Nightjar Survey Network webpages at http://ccb-wm.org for more details on how
      to participate.

      If the 2007 survey window is approaching too quickly for you to commit this
      year, consider adopting a route for 2008 now.

      Michael Wilson

      Research Biologist

      Center for Conservation Biology

      Email: mdwils@...