new yard bird

  • Tracee Strohman
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      I've accepted the probability that huge numbers of bright migrants visiting my yard is waning. But I glanced out a back window and saw bright blue - no it wasn't yet another Indigo Bunting. It was an Eastern Bluebird checking out Fred Dietrich's bluebird box that I put up 24 hours ago. A female popped out the woodpecker box that has been used only by Carolina Wrens a time or two. They seem more interested in that one than the new bluebird box. We'll see...

      Thanks to Fred for Habitat for Avianity.

      -Tracee Strohman
      Indianhead Acres, TLH

    • Tracee Strohman
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2007
        A couple weeks ago I was on a walk near Koucky Park and heard a brown-headed nuthatch. I felt bird envy since it seems that the southern end of the nieghborhood gets a wider range of birds than where I reside at the northern part. Well, as I cleaned bird feeders today I did have a little brown-headed visitor. Made me very happy.

        Also, this morning and 2 evenings ago at Piney Z yielded few birds. The wide range of mushrooms and a large Fl softshell turtle provided the excitement.

        Tracee Strohman

      • Harry Hooper
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2011
          Evening nflbirders,

          While studying an apparently ill American Goldfinch on a branch adjacent to the thistle socks, I noted a Pine Siskin adjacent to another goldfinch going to town on the thistle in the sock.  A new yard bird !

          Good birding !

          Harry Hooper
          Tallahassee, Florida

        • Grayal Farr
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2011
            We also had a new yard bird yesterday. A #$%^ &*#$%^ Brown-headed Cowbird.

          • tracee11@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2012
              This morning I glanced at my feeding station and my eyes were arrested at the sight of a small woodpecker on my bark butter feeder. It was still for a long spell before eating and my brain kept saying, "Downy - no - downy - no." It was a female Hairy Woodpecker.
              Tracee Strohman
              Indianhead Acres