Friday excursions, incl. SMNWR

  • Marvin & Jerilyn Collins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2007
      I spent much of the day Friday birding in preparation for the Apalachee Audubon Birdathon starting next weekend. I began at Black Swamp Nature Preserve, moved to nearby RW Williams Birding Trail, Lake Alberta City Park, and the outer fence of the Springhill Road Sewage Treatment Plant. Best bird for this part of the day was a pair of female Ruddy Ducks in Lake Alberta (aka Church's Chicken Pond). One Yellow Rump - all day! >From there I went to Forest Road 313 near Hwy 267 in Wakulla County. Spent over an hour for 2 birds, but they were my FOTS Prothonatory and Hooded Warblers.

      Spent the afternoon at St. lMarks NWR. Highlights:

      Common Loon in breeding plumage
      Swallow-tailed Kite
      Shorebirds including
      Black-bellied Plover (all in non-breeding plumage)
      Semipalmated Plover
      Short-billed Dowitcher (developing beautiful breeding plumage)
      Lesser (mostly) and Greater Yellowlegs - in breeding plumage
      Willet - including some nice views of the eastern subspecies in breeding plumage
      Ruddy Turnstone
      Least Sandpiper (all the peeps that I could find)
      Dunlin - most developing their black bellies for breeding plumage
      Caspian Tern - a very bright red bill in a sea of Royals
      Great Horned Owl - the two owlets were sitting on a branch outside their nest
      Barn and Tree Swallows
      Marsh Wren - invisible but singing all over the marsh
      Prarie Warbler - my FOTS found along the new Cedar Trail near the main boat ramp just before the lighthouse
      Palm Warbler - just one but a beautiful yellow specimen
      Still a number of Savannah Sparrows but only one Swamp and no other Sparrows for the day (Towhees excepted)

      Total species count for the day was 87. I gotta do better.

      Marvin Collins