RE: [nflbirds] Neurotic mockingbird - help!

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2002
      Thanks to those who responded, and so quickly too! I guess I'll have to live
      with the mocker until he gets tired of guarding the seeds...

      It surprised me that, after all winter just visiting the feeder from time to
      time for suet, he decided it was HIS feeder...and for those who were
      concerned about my characterization of the critter as a "tyrant", you
      haven't seen the cardinals literally cowering in the bushes as the
      moc-king-bird keeps a beady little eye on 'em!

      Thanks again,
      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
        Hi all,

        Yesterday around noontime, having a little time to kill, we decided to bird
        a few locations in Leon County...

        Southwood: Kingfisher Pond has just about dried up! Mom's blaming the
        "erosion control" work they did, but I don't think so. I do think that the
        rain today might fill it back up a bit. Because we were starving, we didn't
        get out, but we did see eleven WOOD STORKS overhead, a few PIPITS, and a
        VESPER SPARROW. Other highlights in Southwood were 6+ HOUSE FINCHES
        scooting around in the holes in the fence on one of the baseball field
        backstops , two BLUEBIRDS at the same location, a small flock of CHIPPING
        SPARROWS at "Gator Pond" (Bald Cypress Rd and Merchants Road), and a
        KESTREL.

        In a retention pond at the bridge in Fallschase (off of Buck Lake Rd) we
        found two CANADA GEESE getting ready to nest, and a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.

        The best birding of the day was at Lost Lake Recreation Area, in the forest
        off of Springhill Road: TURKEY VULTURE, DOWNY WOODPECKER, SAPSUCKER, PHOEBE,
        CHICKADEE, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, CAROLINA and HOUSE WRENS, HERMIT THRUSH,
        ROBIN, CARDINAL, and four species of warblers: PINE, PALM, YELLOW-RUMPED and
        the highlight, one ORANGE-CROWNED!

        A question: are there any good spots in Leon County to try for Common Loon?

        Thanks,
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2002
          Short and sweet, as the Mutt is whining at the door...

          Rhoden Cove Landing
          -------------------
          Pied-billed Grebe
          Great Blue Heron
          Great Egret
          WOOD STORK (35+)
          Turkey Vulture
          Killdeer
          Greater Yellowlegs (2)
          Common Snipe (1)
          Tree Swallow
          Eastern Bluebird
          Yellow-rumped Warbler
          Swamp Sparrow
          Eastern Meadowlark (12+)
          ***
          J. Lewis Hall Sr. Woodville Park
          --------------------------------
          Turkey Vulture (2-3)
          American Kestrel (1)
          Killdeer (2)
          Northern Mockingbird (1)
          Spotted Skunk (2)

          -S.P.MacCumhail
          Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

          ---
        • Swamphen
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2002
            My first message doesn't seem to have gone through, so this is a test as
            much as a report...had 35+ Wood Storks at Rhoden Cove Landing on Lake
            Jackson this AM.