golden crowned kinglets in Tally and other sightings, Huguenot

  • parulablue@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2007
      re: Golden-crowned Kinglets in/near Tallahassee, I had several (~4) at Goose Pond and another 3 at Tall Timbers on Sat., Feb. 3, just didn't post (sorry, I was lazy).

      Highlights today at Huguenot Park in Duval County included quite a few Red Knots, 8 Piping Plovers, and a group of 11 Horned Grebes feeding in a frenzy along the shoreline of the "family beach." The Learys also saw a Peregrine sweep the beach of shorebirds while I was looking the other way counting Dunlin (d'oh!). Really cold, but worth it-- and even better for the company... thanks, Pat and Doris!

      Julie Wraithmell

      From: "Marvin & Jerilyn Collins" <mcollins@...>
      Lynn Rynolds told me that she had been seeing a Summer Tanager at her home in Northern Wakulla County since January 19. I went out this afternoon around 4:00 and saw it. It appears to be a first year male - greenish yellow with a few red splotches. I got several photos in case anyone's interested. This seems to be quite early (or an overwinter) based on Stevenson's Birdlife of Florida.

      Also, Lynn and Elizabeth Platt said that they had seen "about 6" Golden-crowned Kinglets at Hall's Landing off Highway 20 in Leon County. I haven't seen or heard reports on GCKI's in over a month (last seen by me on January 8 at San Luis Park and at least once a week before that).

      Marvin Collins