Lake Munson and Leon Sinks

  • limeybirder@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2007
      Hi all

      a bunch of us headed to said sites this morning and despite being put through the Bataan Death March by Marvin (wink) at Leon Sinks we had a good time! Highlights as follows

      Lake Munson
      Black-and-white Warbler, WE Vireo, Bald Eagle, Orange-crowned Warblers....no Limpkin but water flow is strong at the dam.

      Leon Sinks
      Hermit Thrushes, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Blue-headed Vireos, OC Warblers.....overall, not many birds but the sinkholes were beautiful.

      I entered my records onto ebird as usual and noticed that there has been a report of Royal Tern at Springhill. Just in case the observer reads this I thought I would mention that there has been a Caspian Tern moving between Springhill and Lake Munson the last couple of months and I have seen one at Lake Talquin as well. The only Royal I have seen in Tallahassee was during Hurricane Ivan on Lake Jackson. Royal Tern is a great record for Tally. I wish all these birds had showed up in 2006! Maybe I should do back to back big years. Honey no, put the knife down!
      There is also a record of a Painted Bunting somewhere on the NE side of town outside I-10. A Wild Birds Unlimited customer told me recently that she has a male Painted Bunting in her yard feeding with Chipping Sparrows. Some people are just lucky I guess!

      I spent 3 hrs digiscoping birds in the yard this afternoon, the highlights are on my blog if you are interested.

      I have to drive to Jacksonville on tuesday for an appointment but it won't take long (30 minutes usually). I'll be birding for the rest of the day over there looking for Purple Sands, jaegers, gulls and what ever else comes into view. If anyone is interested in tagging along I have room for one.
      all the best

      Andy Wraithmell
      Tallahassee
      www.surfbirds.com/blog/limeybirder/