Choctaw Birds

  • Donald Towles
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      An extended visit to the Choctawhatchee River WMA over Thanksgiving week produced several new life and FL birds for us Verobeachers. The first addition was a Rusty Blackbird at an unplanned stop at the junction of SR 53 and US 27 in Lafayette County. Then a horned grebe at Tower pond in St Marks NWR. Once we arrived at the Choctaw, we soon found that certain species such as golden-crowned kinglets, ruby-crowned kinglets, blue-headed vireos, and hermit thrushes were practically everywhere in the swamp. We even had an excellent look at a woodcock in the headlights near our camp at dusk....what luck! Woodpeckers abound here including Red-bellied, Downy, Flickers, Yellow-bellied sapsuckers by the pailfull, Red-headed, Pileated, possibly Hairy, but no, we didn't get a glimpse of the Lord God bird! We also saw a striking black-throated green warbler and encountered a winter wren along a small stream channel near Tilley Landing. There was also a dark-eyed junco hopping
      around near camp and Billi got a brief look at a brown creeper. Good weather and good birding were had by all!

      There are no marked trails here, so if you enter the swamp, don't forget your compass and/or GPS.

      Tim Towles
      Vero Beach