Backyard Birds

  • dellabythesea
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
      Boy, was my backyard hopping this morning - actually, it was my
      front yard! I had to do an errand early this morning and when I
      returned home and pulled in the driveway, I noticed a lot of
      activity on the ground over in the corner where the yard meets the
      woods. Of course, my binocluars and camera are both in the house -
      you'd think after living here for a year now, I would've learned to
      have them with me all the times!

      Anyway, I was still close enough to get a pretty good look and at
      first, I thought it was a large herd of sparrows...but after looking
      closer, and having a couple birds fly near the car, I decided they
      weren't sparrows....they were Female Red-Winged Blackbirds. But
      after watching further....I decided the beak was not right at all
      for a balckbird! My bird book just happened to be laying in the
      passenger seat because I had so much to carry in the night before, I
      had just left it there. After flipping many pages, I decided it was
      a small herd of Bobolinks! (When I finally did get back into the
      house, I pulled up some pictures on the Internet and I am fairly
      certain they were Bobolinks....but being still new at this, I can't
      be 100% positive.)

      While I was sitting there watching the Bobolinks, another movement
      caught my eye....it was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker! And then a
      little Downy stopped by another tree and two Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
      chased each other into the back yard! In the tree right beside the
      car, two precious little RC Kinglets hopped around and there were
      two Eastern Phoebes hunting as well.

      There were so many other little things bopping in the trees, I
      decided to try to make it into the house to get my binoculars and
      camera...but as soon as I opened the car down, everyone took off!

      I went into the house to get the binoculars anyway...just incase
      someone had happened to hang around, but everyone really did
      leave.

      A little later, I walked out to get the mail, and happened to notice
      that the tower down the road from me looked odd. There was a Bald
      Eagle perched up on the higest pole! I went back into the house to
      get the camera and lo and behold, he was still sitting there when I
      got back! http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/imdella2

      Judy in Panacea
    • Janeen E. Langley
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2006
        I have been enjoying daily visits from a pair of ground-doves.
        I posted a few pictures of them and one of a red-headed woodpecker who comes
        to the bird bath.

        Janeen Langley

      • dellabythesea
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
          Back from Ohio where at my dad's feeders I saw lots of Juncos, Black-
          Capped Chickadees, a mixed variety of sparrows including Field,
          White-Crowned, White-Throated and a couple we couldn't identify. He
          also attracts the peckers! He has a beautiful Red-headed woodpecker
          that comes in the morning, several Red-bellied, Downy and even
          Sapsucker. And two different Nuthatches - only one Red-Breasted,
          but about a half a a White-Breasted. He has a nice set-up and draws
          a nice variety of birds - it helped prevent me from going into
          withdrawal.

          On my return, I was greeted by the pretty little Bobwhite. I am so
          pleased she is still here. Also yesterday was a great day in the
          yard. A small flock of Robins passing through brought along about a
          dozen Cedar Waxwings. Beautiful Birds!!!! My little Eastern Phoebe
          and RC Kinglet are still here, as are the 3 White-Throated Sparrows
          and 3 Common Ground Doves. My Goldfinch count is up to 13 and a
          Brown Thrasher stopped by to say hi! I seem to have been adopted by
          a family of Red-Winged Blackbirds. Yesterday was a bird count day
          and I counted 32 blackbirds....there is at least that out there this
          morning!

          Can't wait to get back out with the camera! The surgery went well
          and the shoulder is healing! I can almost hold my binoculars, so
          hopefully, holding the camera is not far behind!!

          Judy Cooke
          Panacea, FL
        • Candace
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2007
            Just reporting that the pair of screech owls are still nesting. Tonight
            I watched the male appear and sit and warble in front of her house.
            She does not seem to be leaving the nest lately. I am anxious to hear
            baby birds.

            My Aunt who lives a mile or so away had her first sighting at her
            feeder of an indigo bunting in years. I am hoping one turns up at
            my feeders. I did see a Parula in the tree tops. So far no redstarts.
            But, things are looking up. We have had fires in Putnam Co. and smoke
            from a fire in Jacksonville. I hope this is not going to be a repeat
            of the summer of the fires.

            I am going to La Chua trail in the morning. Taking my husbands Aunt.
            My son went on Thursday and said a bluebird had a nest in the dead
            tree there and the parents were feeding babies. So, I put a new battery
            in my camera and hoping to get a photograph. The alligators are moving
            out on to the trail which scares me a bit. Hope I see lots of
            interesting wildlife.

            Candy Pfau
            Palatka, Fl.