Re: [nflbirds] SGI RH Wdpkrs

  • limeybirder@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
      Hi

      Jack Dozier and I observed an adult fly in off the Gulf one morning down at Bald Point. It was only the second one Jack had seen down there and we presumed it to be a migrant. Julie, Ross and I also had 2 juveniles down at the marina on St Joe peninsula last week and they were heading north along the peninsula. I suspect this is just post juvenile dispersal or adults looking for new territories rather than long distance migration. As Jim says though its hard to come up with a definitive explanation but birds have wings and they can fly. It still boggles my mind that a bird as tiny and as fragile as a Ruby-throated Hummingbird can cross the Gulf of Mexico.

      fascinating creatures aren't they?

      Andy Wraithmell
      From: "Jim Stevenson" <natrix@...>
      Micheal et al,

      The issue of RH Wdpkrs along the gulf coast in the fall has been discussed
      for decades. They do not winter south of the US, and there are no winter or
      summer residents anywhere near places like SGI (where I, too, saw them
      during my grad work there). I have also had one in the last ten years in my
      migrant trap yard here in Galveston. Go figure.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
        > Jack Dozier and I observed an adult fly in off the Gulf one morning down
        > at Bald Point.

        It sounds like you mean in spring???

        If RHWo are "cutting the corner" to and from South Florida, seeing this in
        spring could mean this.

        Birds have also been seen coming in off the Gulf in fall, too. These have
        been presumed to be fall migrants that have more/less accidentally flown out
        over the Gulf and turned around, for whatever reason.

        I am less sure of post breeding dispursal, but who knows?

        Jim
      • speedyg
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
          Interesting; back on 20 September I had at least three RHWOs (2 juv+1 ad),
          possibly more (in a tree too distant to be sure), at Bald Point, IIRC they
          eventually wound up heading east torwards the beach...

          -S.P.McCool
          Wakulla County, Florida, USA
          USDA Zone 8B - Sunset Zone 28 - Heat Zone 9
          Walk softly, and carry a big scope.