Mississippi Kites

  • raybieber@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16 4:11 PM
      I still have two soaring around the 15th hole at Hilaman Golf Course. Also, drove from Lake City to Tally on Highway 27 and saw several between perry and tallahassee. of course, saw the swallow-tailed kited near tally (dump site).

    • raybieber@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2007
        Saturday was the first siting of the return of the Mississippi Kites to Hilaman Golf Course. I welcome them back - a pair.

      • raybieber@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2007
          The kites are building a nest......

          From: raybieber@...
          Saturday was the first siting of the return of the Mississippi Kites to Hilaman Golf Course. I welcome them back - a pair.

        • carp4154
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3 7:46 AM
            Two weeks ago I moved to Crawfordville and today I had my
            fist "woohoo" moment in my backyard when 2 Mississippi Kites visited.

            One was definitely an adult. The other stayed in the back of the
            tree and I was never able to get a clear look at it.

            Do they nest this time of year? The reason I ask is that the
            confirmed adult left with twigs in it's beak.

            These are lifer birds for me. I am so excited. However, on Sunday I
            am leaving town for 2 months - so my birding will be done in the
            Rocky Mountains until my return.

            I love reading every one's sightings and am looking forward to
            birding at SMNWR and the area in general.

            I am very much an amateur but love the birds.

            Shelley Carpenter
          • pmct32308
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28 1:11 PM
              For the past few days I have driven down Capital Circle N.E. and
              observed birds circling over the Goose Pond area; so today I drove down
              Potts Rd. and saw 10+ Miss. Kites circling over the area.

              I could count only 10 at one time because they keep dropping below tree
              level, but I'm sure there were more than that. Beautiful birds.

              Pat McTarsney
              Tallahassee
            • jwinforde
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 25, 2011
                June 25 on Williams Rd SE Tally 5 pm. a flock (kettle) of kites 65+ circling anywhere from 200 feet to 2000 feet high. Watched them for 45 mins. Last weekend saw a flock of about 25 over Wewa. They are grouping and I wonder why. Many immatures. Fascinating..
                John
              • glendajoyce6009
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2012
                  This evening, soaring gracefully, over my yard, were two Mississippi Kites. Even more exciting, for me; at the time, I was photographing a Great Crested Flycatcher, adding nesting material to a nest box. In the four years I have had the GCF box up, Only once have the flycatchers used it. One of my bluebird pair now has six healthy nestlings in a box, which is the largest clutch, for my yard.

                  I'll include links to see the kite and flycatcher.

                  Glenda Simmons
                  Eastside Tallahassee

                  http://glendasimmonsphotography.com/p900628021/h256e2c19#h256e2c19

                  http://glendasimmonsphotography.com/p787480168