Thursday Birding - Tallahassee

  • Edwwjr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 12:31 PM
      Gail Menk and I birded the Springhill Road WTP this morning from 7:45 to
      9:15. Among the birds we had were 1 bufflehead and 1 coot. These species had
      not been reported on the birder's log for either May or June previously.
      Having checked the front desk bird book and seeing reports for both in May, Gail
      changed the log book to reflect the new sightings. The log book is located
      by the rear door next to the exit to the employee parking lot.

      Other birds of interest were 5 least terns.

      We missed on the white rumped sandpipers, Wilson's phalarope, and pectoral
      sandpipers

      I made it to the Southeast Farm (Tram Road) by 12:30. Mississippi Kites
      were soaring along every side of the loop road as the sprinkler system was
      running on almost all sides. In total I had about 70 Mississippi kites and did
      not think they were shifting with me as I drove. Only 2 swallow-tailed kites
      and 2 laughing gulls were seen.

      I had 1 Cooper's hawk along the eastern boundary with Tram Road but no other
      birds of note.

      Ed Woodruff