Re: [nflbirds] Southern Lapwing at St Marks NWR

  • William J Phelan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2006
      Thanks to all.
      I went down to St Mark's this PM and scoured Stoney Bayou looking for the
      lapwing. Tide was right. Lots of plovers. Nothing that looked
      different than the usual critters. I looked for a Northern Lapwing since
      my books don't have Southern Lapwings, and I thought they might be
      somewhat similar.
      Well, it turned out I was looking in the wrong pool, I guess.
      Had a nice PM anyway. Windy, so the skeeters were down. Saw a bunch of
      white pelicans, 2 eagles courting or fighting over a fish, (couldn't
      tell), lots of dunlins, dowitchers, black bellied plovers, semi-palms,
      and some sandpipers that were foraging on the ground with their tails in
      the air (like white tailed deer) like spotted sandpipers or solitaries,
      but there were dozens of them (hardly solitary).
      Maybe Mounds pool tomorrow.
      Bill Phelan, Tallahassee