Re: [nflbirds] Southern Lapwing at St Marks NWR

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2006
      At 01:46 PM 5/22/2006, limeybirder@... wrote:
      >Hi all
      >
      >just to let everybody know that Tom Curtis had a probable Southern
      >Lapwing down at the refuge yesterday morning. This is a South
      >American species that has been expanding its range northwards in
      >recent years so there is a chance that it could be a genuine vagrant
      >rather than an escape. Nonetheless it is a beautiful bird and if you
      >have the chance get down to the refuge and try see it. Tom saw it on
      >Stoney Bayou I believe. If you do see it try and get some pictures.

      Actually Tom saw the bird Sunday May 21,2006 in Mounds Pool 3 at St
      Marks NWR. Bird was in the portion of the pool nearest to Tower Pond.

      Wow! JD

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jackdozier@...
    • William J Phelan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2006
        Thanks to all.
        I went down to St Mark's this PM and scoured Stoney Bayou looking for the
        lapwing. Tide was right. Lots of plovers. Nothing that looked
        different than the usual critters. I looked for a Northern Lapwing since
        my books don't have Southern Lapwings, and I thought they might be
        somewhat similar.
        Well, it turned out I was looking in the wrong pool, I guess.
        Had a nice PM anyway. Windy, so the skeeters were down. Saw a bunch of
        white pelicans, 2 eagles courting or fighting over a fish, (couldn't
        tell), lots of dunlins, dowitchers, black bellied plovers, semi-palms,
        and some sandpipers that were foraging on the ground with their tails in
        the air (like white tailed deer) like spotted sandpipers or solitaries,
        but there were dozens of them (hardly solitary).
        Maybe Mounds pool tomorrow.
        Bill Phelan, Tallahassee