Waterthrush - North Jax

  • Kevin Dailey
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2006
      I was sitting on the porch this afternoon around 5PM
      watching the Painted Buntings and Catbirds feeding,
      when along came a Waterthrush! This bird landed on our
      birdbath for about 2 minutes and was gone. He was
      bobbing his tail up and down continuously, and was
      white underneath (no yellowing). If I had to say, it
      was a Louisiana and not a Northern Waterthrush, but I
      am not certain of it. (I checked my Sibley, Kaufman,
      and Peterson guides in an attempt to ID this guy)

      If anyone can help out by telling me if one species is
      more likely to be seen than the other in this area,
      I'd appreciate it!

      Regards,
      Kevin & Marie Dailey
      Little Marsh Island
      Jax FL

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Kevin Dailey
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
        Thanks to all that replied re: my Waterthrush post
        yesterday. The bird returned for another bath about 10
        minutes ago and I was able to get good, long looks.
        Being ready to look for the field marks this time, I
        was able to easily see the streaking / spotting up
        under the chin, as well as some light yellowing as he
        was shaking out his feathers. Defintely a NORTHERN
        WATERTHRUSH.

        We visited Ft. Caroline National Monument in JAX today
        around 11:30AM - not much happening, but we did see 2
        WORM EATING Warblers, several BLACK & WHITE Warblers,
        a few NORTHERN PARULAS and one COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.
        Heard a BARRED OWL but did not locate it.

        Regards,
        Kevin Dailey
        Little Marsh Island
        Jax FL