Southwood (Jan 31)

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
      Hi all,

      This afternoon, pursuing Mom's new favorite sport - GeoCaching - we visited
      the nature trail at the Capital Circle Office Complex aka Southwood. (Don't
      worry, Rob, we aren't following you. We were going to go yesterday but made
      the mistake of going to Grease Bomb City - er, Wendy's - first.)

      The highlight of the day was hearing an unfamiliar song, then getting home
      and determining it was a BROWN CREEPER! Another highlight was a
      YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER foraging in a flock of Butterbutts.

      In other news, the swan continues at Springhill Road STF, but no
      Canvasbacks.

      The species list for Southwood...
      ----
      Canada Goose (not on the trail, but 32 of them on a pond behind the
      ballfields!)
      Ring-billed Gull (overhead)
      Eurasian Collared-Dove (parking lot)
      Red-headed Woodpecker (an infestation! Including one that ATTACKED the Pine
      Warblers feeding on "it's tree"!)
      Red-bellied Woodpecker
      Downy Woodpecker
      Pileated Woodpecker (heard only)
      Eastern Phoebe
      Carolina Chickadee
      Tufted Titmouse (heard only)
      BROWN CREEPER (heard only)
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet
      Northern Mockingbird
      YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      Pine Warbler
      Palm Warbler
      Eastern Towhee (heard only)
      White-throated Sparrow (Leon County #136)
      American Goldfinch

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hi all,

        Today, as I was walking the mutt (the less said about "it" the better), I
        heard the familiar warble of bluebirds. I looked up, and saw two, male and
        female, on our power line, singing away! After a bit they flew over to the
        dead tops of our oaks (one of the tops fell over the other day - figures, it
        was the kites' favorite perch) and appeared to be inspecting some old
        woodpecker holes!

        Forget the calendar...spring has sprung!

        -S.P.MacCumhail
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

        ---
      • Fred Dietrich
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 19, 2005
          I have had bluebirds nest in my yard on Piedmont Drive all 10 years that I have
          been here. They are here year round, although usually scarce from the time of
          the last nesting in August until October. I think they take their offspring to
          some other area and say find your own place now.

          Two weeks ago I had two pairs fighting over the nest box. I have seen minor
          battles, but this time each pair actually grasped feet and tumbled to the
          ground from the top of the dogwood tree. I just happened to catch a quick
          glimpse at first and thought maybe a snake had grabbed a bird and fallen to the
          ground. I went to the tree and the two males were still fighting and rolling
          around on the ground. When I got close, they each flew off but as I went back
          to the house, the two females did the same thing and the males returned to
          continue their fight.

          Over the years it seems that in January the males check out nest sites, and in
          February they begin to bring the females to inspect the nestbox to see if it is
          suitable. If it is warm they start nesting the last week in February, but
          normally it is around March 7th, about the time the first Ruby Throated returns
          for the Spring. Depending on how early they start, they will have 3 or 4
          broods, with the last young fledging in August.

          Fred Dietrich

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Candace
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
            So.. what is the secret to attracting nesting bluebirds to your yard?
            They are all around here. I see them on the telephone wires. I have
            had them running in my sprinklers. But my son built two bluebird
            houses and so far, no bluebirds. I am thinking about going and buying
            a special made one at Wild Birds Unlimited with a guard on the front
            door.

            Candace Pfau
            Palatka, Fl
            ralph_candypfau@...
          • judy cooke
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2010
              Been in the house almost 5 years now and Tuesday for the very first time, there were 4 Bluebirds in the front yard.  Later in the day, I saw them in the backyard.  I did not see them eating mealworms, but they were perched near them.  Yesterday morning, there were 12.  I ran out and got a bluebird house and got it up and put mealworms out front.

              I don't know if they are just passing through or thinking about staying - but I was wondering if there are any little tricks I could use to encourage them to stay?  I am bordered by woods on two sides and the front yard has quite a few trees.  (Side yard connects to the neighbor.)  I only have an acre.  I didn't want to go to the expense of putting more than one house out, but I will if that will help encourage them to stay.

              Any Suggestions????

              Thanks!

              Judy-Panacea

              Picture:

            • Candy Pfau
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2010
                We have had the same experience Judy.  Last year for the first time they were in the birdbath.   This time we put a house up across from an open field. And we had just added chain link all around our acre.  They put a nest in the house, laid three eggs and then suddenly abandoned it.  All we can think of is that chick a dee's had been fighting over the bluebird house with them.  And a female chicka dee kept sticking her head in the house even after the female bluebird was sitting on eggs.  I can't really control the chick a dee's. All I can say is bluebirds like water available.  something to perch on nearby, even a telephone wire, and an open space on one side.  We have a meal worm feeder and I buy mealworms but so far the wren, and the pine warbler are the only ones eating them.  This year about four bluebirds came through and checked out the houses. We have two houses up.  But they moved on.  Then one female came back and checked out a
                house again.  We had to put up numerous houses to counter act the chick a dee's.   So, water, open area, and something to perch on.
                Candy PfauPalatka  Fl.  Northeast Florida

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2010
                  When I moved here 10 years ago from S Fl I put mealworms out hopefully. My 5 acres is mostly wooded and there is a hay farm across the road. Two Bluebirds came by once and no more. We don't even see them near the hayfield along thr power lines. However, I still put out mealworms and an E Phoebe will set at the feeder and wait for them, especially on very cold days. As soon as I put them out he lands on the feeder. Cardinals, C Wrens , Chippies, Chickadees and Titmice also take them. We have been having lots of birds yhe last few weeks including flocks of Robins that root around in all the leaves for bugs.
                  Joe and alice
                  McAlpin
                  Suwannee County
                • Glenda Simmons
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
                    Joe, Beth, Valerie, Candy, and anyone else interested in Bluebirds and mealworms,

                    Your best bet at attracting Bluebirds is by putting up a bluebird nesting box in the most open area of your yard, and best to mount it on a free standing pole, to help lessen the chances of snakes getting to eggs or nestlings.  I go a step further, and always put snake baffles on my Bluebird boxes, which can easily and cheaply be constructed.  A tip, that may help bluebirds spot your box from a distance, is to get black electrical tape and mark a X with it on the top and the other sides that don't have the entrance hole.  From a bird's perspective, while flying, this may appear like the dark entrance hole of a natural cavity, which may get the bird's attention to further investigate.  If the bird shows interest, then you remove the tape, so it would not be spotted by others.

                    The best time to do this is in Jan. and Feb. when Bluebirds are actively searching for territory to start their family. I have been fortunate to be able to closely monitor a Bluebird family in my yard for the past 5-6 years.  Yesterday, I watched one female taking pinestraw in one of the boxes, and later checked other boxes, to find that I have two nests already in the works.

                    I first started putting mealworms out after I already had a pair, and would put them in a container, not far from their nesting box, when I saw the birds.  To easily train them, you always make the same noise, when you put the worms out, whistle or some type of call.  I cannot whistle, so I ring a little bell.  Believe me, it took no time for my Bluebirds to know their dinner bell.  Of course doing this as close to a time schedule, as you can, helps.  At present, I am feeding one male and three females, and they are waiting for me when I come home from work to feed them.

                    Bully Mockingbirds, are frequently a problem, but as I trained my Bluebirds, I was able to get closer and closer to them, so they will land much closer to me, than mean ole Mockingbird will dare, so I generally will stay outside and stand guard, close by, to asure that my Bluebirds get the worms.  I don't mind some of the other small birds grabbing a few, and my Bluebirds will sometimes share a few.  I have watched my male bluebird go several rounds with a larger male Cardinal, when he was not in a sharing mood.  That was a very colorful scene.

                     The mealworm caged feeder that Candy described, I also have, and have finally seen my Bluebirds go in it. I secured a perching stick through it, to make it easier for them to enter.  The mockingbird is too large to fit through the caged openings, but you will not keep out smaller birds like wrens.  I also put suet in this caged feeder, for the small birds.  I bought this mainly for a backup for the pesky Mockingbird, however last season, when I found baby mockingbirds in a nest, I provided some worms for them, as well, since the parents were just trying to feed their young, as the Bluebirds were.  In the past year, I have on occasion, seen my bluebirds eat the suet that I make, and just recently started putting out WBU bark Butter, that my Bluebirds are also eating.

                    Valerie, I have no help to offer for your anoles. lol...that's one problem , I have not had. But I would be glad to trade you a large flock of Blackbirds for a few of your anoles.

                    I would also like everyone to know that Florida now has an official Bluebird Society, which I will add the link.  There is not much on the website, yet, but I would encourage any of you that love Bluebirds to check it out, and if possible help support it's growth by joining.  It's only ten bucks a year, and when you join, you will receive an info pamphlet, a nice window cling of our logo and a very nice bookmark with one of my images of my handsome male Bluebird.  I'm sure there will be more added to the website, soon.

                    Happy Bluebird Trails!

                    Glenda Simmons
                    Eastside Tallahassee

                  • Candy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 14, 2011
                      I have successful nesting bluebirds in my yard. Presently the count is one or two baby birds hatched and two eggs to go. Mother and Father bird rushing back and forth feeding. Hope the other egg or maybe it's two hatches in the next day or two. Glenda has been giving me advice. I may set a timer to fill bird baths if I have to travel to North Carollna before they fledge. I am over the moon. They seem to enjoy the ripe mulberries and seem to have no trouble finding insects in my yard. The grasshoppers are exploding. Baby ones. I also have in the next birdhouse a pair of chickadee sitting on eggs. The two seem to be ignoring each other. I cannot wait until the baby birds get bigger. (also the Great Flycatcher's have shown up and I have catbirds and cedar waxwings again. When I get my farm I will plant lots of fruit and berry tree's.

                      Candy Pfau
                      Palatka, Fl.
                      32148