Tallahassee Trip

  • Alex5836@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2006
      Thanks to all those who sent information to me. Again, this was a family
      trip, but I did make some time to bird. We stayed in the Days In Hotel on North
      Monroe near Interstate-10. This was right nest store (literally) to the
      building where there is an office for Florida Audubon. A couple feeders around
      there hosted a couple birds. Other than that, I did not bird anywhere special,
      just around neighborhoods and the Old City Cemetery near the Florida State
      University Campus. Highlights:

      Canada Goose- state bird; Church's Chicken, and two other ponds in
      Tallahassee area
      Swallow-tailed Kite- Gainesville area
      Cooper's Hawk- several along I-75 and I-10
      Red-shouldered Hawk- the birds in south Florida are gray and drab; nice
      change
      Broad-winged Hawk
      Red-tailed Hawk
      Bald Eagle- actually in Kissimmee area on way up
      Sandhill Crane- Ocala area
      Red-headed Woodpecker- two on FSU campus, one at hotel
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow
      House Wren- just because it was singing
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet
      Eastern Bluebird- Gainesville
      Cedar Waxwing- unexpected year bird
      Eastern Towhee
      Chipping Sparrow- year bird; the only one in breeding plumage I have ever
      seen in Florida
      White-throated Sparrow- state bird; several areas including cemetery
      House Finch- was very easy like I was told
      American Goldfinch- one or two small flocks

      It was also nice to see and hear birds on their breeding grounds. That's a
      real treat for someone who just sees them on migration. These birds included:
      Great-crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Barn Swallow, Tufted Titmouse,
      Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, American Robin, Northern Parula, and
      Yellow-throated Warbler.

      Tallahassee is one of the nicest cities I have ever been to. There are
      plenty of wooded lots and large wooded yards that hosted plenty of birds. I was
      very surprised to find that even one of the busiest streets, Monroe Street,
      still had plenty of birds. I woke up both mornings to Great-crested Flycatchers
      and Carolina Wrens. I also enjoyed "southern dining". Shoney's and Sonny's
      were big hits for us.

      I missed Wood Duck, Redhead, Mississippi Kite and White-breasted Nuthatch
      (although I did find a Blue Jay doing a very good imitation of one yesterday),
      but all the more reason to return.

      Another highlight was finding a large four-foot plus Gray Rat Snake crossing
      right in front of me. That was my only lifer of the trip.

      Thanks again,
      Alex Harper
      Miami