Kingbird Sps./Apalachicola CBC/29 Dec 05+

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      Thom Lewis left a message on my machine this afternoon that he heard
      notes from the kingbird when interacting with a mockingbird, and they
      were short and hi-pitched, not like those of the Couch's which he is
      quite familiar. He was headed to listen to his Thayer's recording of
      Tropical Kingbird, as that is what they sound like. This is good
      news; I hate to leave a bird unidentified especially when I strongly
      suspect the species. I will have to wait for Thom to make the
      ultimate call after satisfying himself with the tape/CD, hopefully
      it'll be anticlimactic.

      This bird was encountered on the CBC by my party--me, John Spohrer
      and John Murphy, and had been seen also by Todd Engstrom, et al. I
      and several others saw it again on the 30th, but no sound was
      recorded. Alan Knothe had photographed it then. We all were waiting
      for a verbal response to nail down the ID (distinguish it from the
      similar Couch's Kingbird).

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jackdozier@...