Tropical/Couch's Kingbird in Apalachicola

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      Today while participating in the Apalach CBC, John Murphy, John
      Spohrer, and I found a yellow breasted kingbird behind the
      courthouse, and at the intersection of streets just S of Boss Oysters
      Restaurant in Apalachicola. Later we found out Todd Engstrom and a
      friend had also seen it previously. The actual identity is under
      question although Tropical Kingbird is the popular guess. As far as
      I know no one has heard this bird, which generally is considered
      necessary to do to positively ID this sticky pair of species. (I've
      had my head handed to me on careful guesses from photos, and I ain't
      going to try it again until I forget the pain.) John Murphy and I
      tried to elicit calls from the bird, but by the time we got the
      recorder set up, the bird had gone to roost. I hope I, or
      someone, will be able to get it to respond in kind to one or the
      other of the recorded sounds, or hear it simply outright. The sounds
      are different. Please report any results either on line or by phone,
      to me (850-570-8140), or to Alan Knothe CBC Compiler. Thanks in
      advance. Either species is a really good find in FL! Good Luck! Jack

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jackdozier@...