Make that TWO Vermilion Flycatchers at Alligator Lake, Columbia County

  • dotrobbins@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      Hi FL Birders,

      This afternoon, Nov. 30, I frolicked at Alligator Lake for a couple hours. I found the male Vermilion Flycatcher, probably the same bird I discovered Jan 18 2004. He was half way down the "central dike" on the left. Thirty yards farther down the dike was a first year female. She shows a dark mask effect, white throat, pale gray streaking on whitish upper breast, and yellow belly.

      Also of note were a group of 6 Flickers feeding on the ground near the end of this same dike, 5 Wood Storks overhead, and a few Sandhills flying over. Since I was frolicking, I wasn't toting my scope, so the only ducks I noted were Ring-necked--quite a few of them. Great day to be out there!

      Directions: From I-75, exit Rt. 90/10, head East through Lake City, turn South onto Rt.133(Country Club Rd), Look for entrance Alligator Lake Park. (DeLORME p.g 54-55)

      From Gainesville, 441 N., right on CR 252 at signal, left on Country Club Rd at signal, and proceed to park (brown park sign).