yard report

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi all:

      I had 7 warbler species today, but I had to work for most of them.
      None came to the mister. Highlights today:

      Golden-winged warbler - male in ravine
      Yellow-throated " (sat on the gutter over the porch)
      N. Parula
      Chestnut-sided
      Black and white
      Blackburnian - female, high in top of tree
      Am. Redstart - 2

      Veery
      Swainson's thrush

      Red-eyed, White-eyed, Yellow-throated vireos
      Acadian flycatcher
      Rubythroats

      While I ate lunch, I had the misters turned on. No birds showed up.
      Then a Red-shouldered hawk flew in and sat on a branch of the tree
      behind the mister/birdbath and watched the yard. Could be the same
      one who's been flying low in the ravine and sitting above the creek.
      --

      Fran C. Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
        HI all:

        Yesterday (9/24) I was surprised to see an immature male Rose-breasted Grosbeak
        at the feeder late afternoon. Have not seen it today. The only other time I had
        one in Sept. was 9/17/99. They usually show up the first week of two
        of October.

        Today I saw a first of season Swainson's Thrush at the Devil's Walking-stick
        berries. Also Summer and Scarlet Tanagers and vireos were around. The
        only warblers have been female Redstart and N. Parula.

        --
        Fran Rutkovsky
        Tallahassee, FL
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 18, 2008
          Hi all:

          Late morning today I had a first of the season (and first time
          in spring for the yard) adult male Prairie Warbler. I couldn't
          find him again. I also heard a very loud Hodded Warbler in
          the ravine.

          Other first of season migrants recently include:
          3/6 N. Parula warbler (heard)
          3/7 Rubythroated hummingbird (male, who's patrolling all
          the feeders and flowers)
          3/10 Yellow-throated warbler, bathing
          3/14 Mississippi Kite (NOT--just a blue jay)
          3/17 Yellow-throated vireo (heard)

          A few Baltimore Orioles are still here, plus the female
          Bullock's Oriole, looking quite nice. The male Western Tanager
          is getting red around the face. The male Rufous hummingbird
          was still here a couple of days ago, though all of these birds
          are getting "iffy" about being seen. I look forward to having
          them return next winter, and now I look forward to more
          spring migrants and summer breeders.

          --
          Fran Rutkovsky
          Tallahassee, FL
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 7 8:02 AM
            Hi all

            This fall has been extremely quiet for migrating birds. I've seen just a few migrants in the yard and ravine but not the
            usual variety of warblers. I have had a couple of Rose-breasted grosbeaks at the feeder this week (male and female);
            Swainson's thrushes at the beautyberries in the ravine; Tennessee Warbler and Catbird bathing; Hooded warblers, mostly
            staying in the ravine; 1 brief look at a Worm-eating warbler in the ravine last week.

            A couple of weeks ago, men with the County Public Works were in the ravine cutting along the creekbank across on
            the other side. Unfortunately they cut down a Devil's Walking-stick that was loaded with berries that the thrushes and
            warblers usually eat, as well as other small trees like Horse Sugar/Sweetleaf that the thrushes like. After I sent an email
            and talked to an assistant, I eventually talked to the supervisor one day. He apologized and said they may have
            cut too much and gone too far down the stream, but that doesn't replace all the vegetation they cut down.
            This supposedly was done to alleviate some flooding at the upper end, but as I said in an email to the director,
            this was overkill. I was not pleased about it.

            --------
            Fran Rutkovsky
            Tallahassee, FL
            franrutkovsky@...

          • Fran Rutkovsky
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 22, 2012
              I had a male Hooded warbler in the yard today chasing another bird. I couldn't see the 2nd bird so don't know if it was another
              Hooded or a Chickadee. Also had 3 juvenile Red-bellied woodpeckers flying around with their father. Pretty neat, as I usually
              just see 1 or 2 young ones out at the same time.

              --------
              Fran Rutkovsky
              Tallahassee, FL
              franrutkovsky@...

            • Fran Rutkovsky
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2012
                Today I had a female Redstart and 1 Tennessee warbler, as well as 1 Wood and 1 Swainson's thrushes. All were first of fall
                sightings. Last week a Catbird showed up. Otherwise, the fall migrants have been pretty absent from my yard. I'm still
                seeing 2-3 Rubythroats.

                --------
                Fran Rutkovsky
                Tallahassee, FL