Tundra Swan YES - Springhill STF and Southwood (Jan 16)

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2002
      Hi all,

      This morning I was thinking that we might head down to Ochlockonee Bay to
      see if the weird-Laughing-Gull/?Franklin's Gull I blew off last weekend as a
      Laughing without checking the bill - DUH! - when I checked my E-mail. Tundra
      Swan...in Tallahassee?!?

      ***Birding Emergency!!***

      So we head up to Springhill Road in search of a Swan dive. And we found it,
      as advertised, in the Far East (BIG) Pond. I propose we re-name this pond
      Swan Lake. :-)

      No other unusual birds were there (although I did add Bonaparte's Gull to my
      Leon County list) other than what appeared to be a Savannah Sparrow with no
      yellow spot in front of the eye.

      The day's bird list...
      ----------------------
      Springhill Road STF - Tallahassee, FL
      Leon County - Jan 16 2002 - A.O.U. Order
      ***
      Pied-billed Grebe (2)
      Double-crested Cormorant (2-3)
      White Ibis (20+)
      TUNDRA SWAN [county #132 FL #252 Life #254]
      Gadwall (1 probable)
      Mallard (25+)
      Blue-winged Teal (25+)
      Northern Shoveler (lots)
      Green-winged Teal (25-50)
      Lesser Scaup (100+)
      Bufflehead (25+)
      Hooded Merganser (1 male)
      Killdeer (10-20-30-40-50 and more...)
      Least Sandpiper (hundreds)
      Dunlin (2-3)
      BONAPARTE'S GULL (at least 1) [county #131]
      Ring-billed Gull (lots!)
      Crow sp. (1-2)
      Northern Mockingbird (1)
      European Starling (1)
      American Pipit (2-3)
      Savannah Sparrow (2-3)
      sparrow sp. (1-2, probably Savannah)
      ---------------------------------------

      Afterwards we hit the Southwood Sparrow Pond between School House Rd and
      Tram Rd. My tired legs from the Fifty Mile Swan Hike didn't allow intensive
      birding, but it wasn't too bad for just a few minutes:
      ----------------------
      Southwood - Tallahassee, FL
      Leon County - Jan 16 2002 - A.O.U. Order
      ***
      Double-crested Cormorant (1)
      Great Blue Heron (1)
      Osprey (1)
      Killdeer (scads - of course!)
      Least Sandpiper (1)
      Belted Kingfisher (1)
      House Wren (1+)
      Palm Warbler (2)
      Northern Cardinal (1)
      Chipping Sparrow (50-100+)
      sparrow sp. (1) ...looked like a Junco except it was VERY buff/pink where it
      should be slate??

      Whew!
      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

      ---
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2002
        Hi all,

        At Cascade Park (I believe that's the name - it's the park with the Korean
        War Memorial) in Tallahassee today, we observed a Red-shouldered Hawk
        collecting nesting material. Spring isn't here yet, but you could sure fool
        me...

        When we got back home, it was dusk, and what should we hear but the "pzeent"
        of a Woodcock! Year bird 143, and a pretty cool one at that.