Immature Tundra Swan at Springhill Road STP Ponds

  • Eric Shaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2002
      There is an immature swan at the Springhill Road Sewage Treatment Plant
      ponds off Springhill Road in Tallahassee. Bryan Baker, Denise Miller,
      and I viewed it yesterday during lunchtime (first heard about it day
      before) and, although we did not have a scope with us, are confident
      that it is a Tundra Swan. (My apologies to all: tried to send this to
      the groups last night, but message failed to be sent.) The pale yellow
      at the base of the bill is just becoming evident and is apparent in
      good light. The body of the bird is white, especially the back. The
      neck and head are off-white/light grey. The bird has been feeding in
      the large pond east of the smaller ponds.

      As far as I know, this bird was first discovered Monday (Jan. 14) or
      maybe this past weekend by City staff who let us know about it
      (thanks!). Lotsa ducks out there as well, including good numbers of
      Bufflehead.

      Eric Shaw
      Tallahassee, FL
      eshaw@...

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2002

        This morning I was thinking that we might head down to Ochlockonee Bay to
        see if the weird-Laughing-Gull/?Franklin's Gull I blew off last weekend as a
        Laughing without checking the bill - DUH! - when I checked my E-mail. Tundra
        Swan...in Tallahassee?!?

        ***Birding Emergency!!***

        So we head up to Springhill Road in search of a Swan dive. And we found it,
        as advertised, in the Far East (BIG) Pond. I propose we re-name this pond
        Swan Lake. :-)

        No other unusual birds were there (although I did add Bonaparte's Gull to my
        Leon County list) other than what appeared to be a Savannah Sparrow with no
        yellow spot in front of the eye.

        The day's bird list...
        ----------------------
        Springhill Road STF - Tallahassee, FL
        Leon County - Jan 16 2002 - A.O.U. Order
        ***
        Pied-billed Grebe (2)
        Double-crested Cormorant (2-3)
        White Ibis (20+)
        TUNDRA SWAN [county #132 FL #252 Life #254]
        Gadwall (1 probable)
        Mallard (25+)
        Blue-winged Teal (25+)
        Northern Shoveler (lots)
        Green-winged Teal (25-50)
        Lesser Scaup (100+)
        Bufflehead (25+)
        Hooded Merganser (1 male)
        Killdeer (10-20-30-40-50 and more...)
        Least Sandpiper (hundreds)
        Dunlin (2-3)
        BONAPARTE'S GULL (at least 1) [county #131]
        Ring-billed Gull (lots!)
        Crow sp. (1-2)
        Northern Mockingbird (1)
        European Starling (1)
        American Pipit (2-3)
        Savannah Sparrow (2-3)
        sparrow sp. (1-2, probably Savannah)
        ---------------------------------------

        Afterwards we hit the Southwood Sparrow Pond between School House Rd and
        Tram Rd. My tired legs from the Fifty Mile Swan Hike didn't allow intensive
        birding, but it wasn't too bad for just a few minutes:
        ----------------------
        Southwood - Tallahassee, FL
        Leon County - Jan 16 2002 - A.O.U. Order
        ***
        Double-crested Cormorant (1)
        Great Blue Heron (1)
        Osprey (1)
        Killdeer (scads - of course!)
        Least Sandpiper (1)
        Belted Kingfisher (1)
        House Wren (1+)
        Palm Warbler (2)
        Northern Cardinal (1)
        Chipping Sparrow (50-100+)
        sparrow sp. (1) ...looked like a Junco except it was VERY buff/pink where it
        should be slate??

        Whew!
        -S.P.MacCumhail
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

        ---
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2002

          At Cascade Park (I believe that's the name - it's the park with the Korean
          War Memorial) in Tallahassee today, we observed a Red-shouldered Hawk
          collecting nesting material. Spring isn't here yet, but you could sure fool
          me...

          When we got back home, it was dusk, and what should we hear but the "pzeent"
          of a Woodcock! Year bird 143, and a pretty cool one at that.