Injured bird

  • snyder_32207
    Message 1 of 10 , May 22, 2005
      I haven't seen anyone post about an injured bird but if anyone canmake any suggestions please email me personally. We have an injuredbaby starling in our yard. As of yesterday he could not fly. His leftleg is injured. The parent birds REFUSE to feed him althought theyare feeding the other two siblings. I did not think he would make itthru the nite but he is back this am sitting under the feeders cryingto be fed. This morning we did notice he was able to fly a littlebit. Is there anything we can do to help the little guy along. Amafraid if we try to catch him we might injure him further. Tried tocall BEAKS but they are closed. Any help would be appreciated. Or dowe just let nature take it's course?Joyce in Jacksonville
    • Susan Schaffel
      Message 2 of 10 , May 22, 2005
        A Starling is a NON NATIVE SPECIES. Let it Die. Any hard core birder like
        myself TRAPS them & puts them down along w/ European House Sparrow's. If
        you go onto the Purple Martin Society page you will see TRAPS, specific to
        kill them as they invade ANY CAVITY HOLE and push our our native
        Woodpecker, Titmouse, Martins etc. I watched a Starling PECK to death a
        Purple Martin in one of my houses because it wanted to take it over. If you
        have isssue with this, email me personally, I will call you on the phone to
        talk in case you don't like this answer!!!

        Susan

        Message 3 of 10 , May 23, 2005
          Reading this and your other email about shooting
          Starlings with BB guns is very disturbing. First of
          all, it is not a status symbol or rite of passage to
          shoot starlings in order to be a "hard core" birder.
          Birding is not a 'gang' where you have to earn your
          'colors'. In my opinion, a "hard core" birder
          appreciates all birds, whether they are native or not.
          There are plenty of non-native birds which hard-core
          birders flock to in droves when they happen upon US
          soil.

          If Starlings are invading your precious Purple Martin
          house, put up another one. From the information you've
          provided, your answer seems very selfish. You don't
          like starlings because you were told by the "society"
          not to like them, and they are encroaching on your
          martin house. Hmmmm....let's see if I can remember
          another instance of a 'society' encouraging the
          genocide of another race/species....

          So, Starlings are not native - genocide of the species
          is not the answer. Furthermore, shooting a bird with a
          BB gun likely does not inflict a fatal wound, it would
          just serve to injure and torture the creature. What
          kind of self proclaimed animal/bird/nature lover would
          encourage that behavior? It is cruel and unusual. It
          still does not answer the original email, which
          obviously was written by a compassionate birder who
          wanted to help an injured chick.

          I understand the dilemma Starlings cause by inhabiting
          other birds natural homes, but exterminating them is
          not the answer. I'm curious if you're also calling for
          the extermination of the cowbird since they are a
          "Brood Parasite".

          Kevin Dailey
          Jacksonville

          --- Susan Schaffel <localbirds@...> wrote:
          > A Starling is a NON NATIVE SPECIES. Let it Die.
          > Any hard core birder like
          > myself TRAPS them & puts them down along w/ European
          > House Sparrow's. If
          > you go onto the Purple Martin Society page you will
          > see TRAPS, specific to
          > kill them as they invade ANY CAVITY HOLE and push
          > our our native
          > Woodpecker, Titmouse, Martins etc. I watched a
          > Starling PECK to death a
          > Purple Martin in one of my houses because it wanted
          > to take it over. If you
          > have isssue with this, email me personally, I will
          > call you on the phone to
          > talk in case you don't like this answer!!!
          >
          > Susan
          >
          > From: "snyder_32207" <bandiboo@...>
          > To: nflbirds@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [nflbirds] Injured bird
          > Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:51:09 -0000
          >
          > I haven't seen anyone post about an injured bird but
          > if anyone canmake any
          > suggestions please email me personally. We have an
          > injuredbaby starling in
          > our yard. As of yesterday he could not fly. His
          > leftleg is injured. The
          > parent birds REFUSE to feed him althought theyare
          > feeding the other two
          > siblings. I did not think he would make itthru the
          > nite but he is back this
          > am sitting under the feeders cryingto be fed. This
          > morning we did notice he
          > was able to fly a littlebit. Is there anything we
          > can do to help the little
          > guy along. Amafraid if we try to catch him we might
          > injure him further.
          > Tried tocall BEAKS but they are closed. Any help
          > would be appreciated. Or
          > dowe just let nature take it's course?Joyce in
          > Jacksonville

          Yahoo! Mail
        • Susan Schaffel
          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2005
            To Kevin: I still stand by my comments on Starlings & E. House Sparrows. I
            think you MIGHT want to educate yourself on these birds. This is not a
            RIGHT TO LIVE ISSUE.

            Thank you. Susan

            From: Kevin Dailey <kedailey@...>
            To: Susan Schaffel <localbirds@...>, nflbirds@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: RE: [nflbirds] Injured bird
            Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 04:56:10 -0700 (PDT)

> [...]

            > Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:51:09 -0000
            >
            > I haven't seen anyone post about an injured bird but
            > if anyone canmake any
            > suggestions please email me personally. We have an
            > injuredbaby starling in
            > our yard. As of yesterday he could not fly. His
            > leftleg is injured. The
            > parent birds REFUSE to feed him althought theyare
            > feeding the other two
            > siblings. I did not think he would make itthru the
            > nite but he is back this
            > am sitting under the feeders cryingto be fed. This
            > morning we did notice he
            > was able to fly a littlebit. Is there anything we
            > can do to help the little
            > guy along. Amafraid if we try to catch him we might
            > injure him further.
            > Tried tocall BEAKS but they are closed. Any help
            > would be appreciated. Or
            > dowe just let nature take it's course?Joyce in

            Yahoo! Mail
          • Kevin Dailey
            Message 5 of 10 , May 23, 2005
              Thanks for the suggestion Susan - but believe me when
              I say that I am indeed educated on the subject. It is
              just apparent that we have a difference of opinion,
              and I didn't realize that you were in a position to
              play judge/jury/executioner for a species.

              My apologies for not realizing that sooner.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Susan Schaffel
              Message 6 of 10 , May 23, 2005
                Kevin: for some reason you want to email me personally to tell me how wrong
                I am about Starlings and ridding them. First off, I have no issue putting
                this out publically, 2nd, I did not make up those means of ridding these
                invaders. You might be offended about killing anything...but as I said
                before and others can chime in with OTHER opinions.....these birds invade
                our declining song bird populations and other cavity nesters. I suppose you
                would also have issue with my other huge project that I work on

                CAT PREDATION ON WILDLIFE.

                I am ready to debate this one also?

                Susan

                From: Kevin Dailey <kedailey@...>
                To: Susan Schaffel <localbirds@...>, nflbirds@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 05:05:45 -0700 (PDT)

> [...]

                > > our yard. As of yesterday he could not fly. His
                > > leftleg is injured. The
                > > parent birds REFUSE to feed him althought theyare
                > > feeding the other two
                > > siblings. I did not think he would make itthru
                > the
                > > nite but he is back this
                > > am sitting under the feeders cryingto be fed.
                > This
                > > morning we did notice he
                > > was able to fly a littlebit. Is there anything we
                > > can do to help the little
                > > guy along. Amafraid if we try to catch him we
                > might
                > > injure him further.
                > > Tried tocall BEAKS but they are closed. Any help
                > > would be appreciated. Or
                > > dowe just let nature take it's course?Joyce in
                > > Jacksonville
                > >

                > Yahoo! Mail
                > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Kevin Dailey
                Message 7 of 10 , May 23, 2005
                  I suggest you look at the "to" line more carefully.
                  What I said went to the whole group as well. I am not
                  just emailing you personally. I'm not afraid to
                  express my opinion to the masses. However, I don't
                  think this is the forum for any further discussion on
                  the subject unless anyone else wants to contribute
                  their opinion.

                  And no, I have no interest in debating anything
                  further with you since it seems like you're just
                  looking for a fight. I will not indulge you in that.

                  Respectfully,
                  Kevin Dailey

                  === message truncated ===

                  Discover Yahoo!
                  http://discover.yahoo.com/
                • Susan Schaffel
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 23, 2005
                    Dear Kevin and all readers:

                    My intent regarding the Starling issue was education, NOT A FIGHT. I prefer
                    to battle my local council members regarding changing animal control laws
                    which I am about to win!!!! This will save hundred of thousands of birds
                    from the mouths of cats.

                    I know that it's a hard pill to swallow, killing anything or watching
                    anything die helpless.

                    Maybe the reader can go to the Parade Magazine issue that came out in
                    Sundays paper.

                    The article is about invasive species WHICH THE EUROPEAN STARLING IS LISTED
                    AS NUMBER 5

                    Thank you for those who have emailed me privately and understand where I am
                    coming from.

                    Susan
                  • Kim van der Linde
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 23, 2005
                      Susan Schaffel wrote:

                      > CAT PREDATION ON WILDLIFE.

                      So what? Did it ever occur to you that humans first eliminated the wild
                      predators around?

                      Kim

                      --
                      http://www.kimvdlinde.com
                    • Susan Schaffel
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 23, 2005
                        Kim: here is an article I wrote on cat predation. So what? You tell me.

                        go to: http://www.travisaudubon.org/Newsletter/Newsletter.html

                        March 05 newletter.

                        Thanks for your interest.

                        From: Kim van der Linde <kim@...>