Bald Point State Park

  • janeenlangley
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2005
      I made my first visit to Bald Point State Park today. I was inspired
      by all of you who have posted messages of sightings there. It is truly
      a beautiful place with lots of birds. Unfortunately, I was only able
      to be there a short time, but enjoyed it very much.
      I saw a yellow-billed cuckoo, an eastern kingbird, lots of barn
      swallows, and what I believe was the scissor-tailed flycatcher. There
      was a beautiful osprey on its nest as we were leaving.
      At the intersection of Mashes Sands Road and Hwy 98, I saw a large
      whitish dove fly down to a puddle to drink. Could that have been the
      collared dove?
      This morning at the feeder there were two pine siskins, a pair of
      goldfinches, and this afternoon, a white-throated sparrow.

      Janeen Langley
      Tallahassee
    • Andy Wraithmell
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2009
        While on a family outing (to fish and build sandcastles) to the beach at Bald Point State Park today, Julie and I had 4 Common Goldeneye (2 males and 2 females) feeding in Ocklockonee Bay. I also had a single Cave Swallow hanging out with several Tree Swallows. A small flock of American White Pelicans flew over heading south and there was a Merlin and an American Kestrel near the restrooms. Julie had a Vesper Sparrow in the dunes and we both had the usual shorebirds, terns and gulls save a single 1st winter Lesser Black-backed Gull, which was roosting on an osyter bar off the point.

        Andy & Julie Wraithmell

      • Marvin Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2009
          Hello Group,

          I'm a new member from Valdosta, GA. I'm planning a trip to Paynes Prairie,
          and I'd like some advice on which trails to do this time of year. I'd like
          to photograph birds with my 400mm lens. Are certain trail better at certain
          times of the day for lighting and bird availability? Is it possible to get
          close to Sandhill Cranes, eagles, and bison? Are there Limpkins this year?
          Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

          Marvin T. Smith

          Valdosta, GA

        • Marvin Smith

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2010
              Hi All,

              Thanks to Dalcio for coming to my bird emergency yesterday, I got to see and hear many species that otherwise would have gone unrecorded.
              Two species that seemed to be unusual.
              First saw a Gray Catbird at the entrance to Bolen Bluff Trail. Then heard the distinctive kdik, kdik, kdik, kdik of a Virginia Rail, which ebird flashed as rare.

              Here is the whole list.
              Wild Turkey
              Double-crested Cormorant
              Anhinga
              Black Vulture
              Turkey Vulture
              Osprey
              Bald Eagle
              Red-shouldered Hawk
              Virginia Rail
              Common Moorhen
              Mourning Dove
              Barred Owl
              Chimney Swift
              Ruby-throated Hummingbird
              Red-bellied Woodpecker
              Pileated Woodpecker
              Great Crested Flycatcher
              White-eyed Vireo
              Blue Jay
              American Crow
              Fish Crow
              Tufted Titmouse
              Carolina Wren
              Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
              Gray Catbird
              Northern Parula
              Yellow-rumped Warbler
              Common Yellowthroat
              Northern Cardinal
              Red-winged Blackbird
              Boat-tailed Grackle
              House Finch
              American Goldfinch

              Other birds of interest in Gainesville was a beautiful male Painted Bunting on Monday on the E.T. York Hospice grounds.

              Thanks,

              Ali Sheehey
              Weldon, CA
            • Andy Wraithmell
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2011
                Headed down to my favorite state park mid morning with the family for some good ole fashioned beach fun. While there, (well it would have been rude not too) I checked out some shorebirds that were taking advantage of the egg laying Horseshoe Crabs.
                I didn't really count the species except for Red Knot and after several attemtps at counting them I came up with an average of 50 birds. Alas, no color flags. There was a single Marbled Godwit and 3 Gull-billed Terns.

                I posted some pictures for those who are interested. They're on my blog as usual, the link is below.

                Andy Wraithmell
                Tallahassee
                http://limeybirder.blogspot.com/2011/05/shorebirds-shorebirds-on-seashore.html