white pelicans

  • Candy & Michael Hill
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      While surveying lakes in the panhandle during the torrential rains today, I observed about 100 white pelicans on Juniper Lake, Defuniak Springs. I was at the levee on the southern road around the lake. The road is well marked. A direct inquiry to me, and I'll be more specific.
      Michael Hill

    • Harry Hooper
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2007
        Afternoon nflbirders,Took my mom to the refuge this morning for a little birding from the main road. East Pool was jammed with waders including a dancing immature reddish egret. But of real interest was the flyover of 25 white pelicans with another 14 resting on the mud flats of Stoney Bayou Pool #1. Even had a single white pelican on the mudflats at headquarters pond. I can't recall observing white pelicans at the refuge during the summer. I would appreciate some feedback on their summertime occurrence on the refuge.Many thanks,Harry HooperTallahassee, Florida
      • Lydia R. Burns
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2007
          Hi,

          I saw the white pelicans also. We were at SMNWR at 7:30am this morning. It was the first time I have seen the white pelicans there.

          We also saw, a family of turkeys, many snowy egrets, commorants, great egrets, great blue herons, male and female red-winged blackbirds, male and female boat-tailed grackles, mourning doves, tri-colored herons, and a bank swallow.

          I also was able to see an alligator attack and eat its breakfast. No not a bird! It was just another new experience.

          It was great as always at the park and of course, I got it all on video.

          Lydia
          Wakulla Co. FL

          "How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand; there is no going back, there are some things that time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold." Frodo, Lord of the Rings - Tolkien

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2007
            We've noticed the white pelican flock the past few times we've been down to
            St. Marks over the last two weeks. Odd seeing ~20 white pelicans, and no
            brown ones...

            -S.P. McCool
            Wakulla County, Florida, USA
          • michael hartley
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2007
              In July 2005, I saw a lone White Pelican resting on a sandbar out from the
              end of the lighthouse levy in SMNWR.

              Michael Hartley
              Tallahassee, FL

              On 6/24/07, Harry Hooper <hbhooper@...> wrote:

              > Afternoon nflbirders,Took my mom to the refuge this morning for a little
              > birding from the main road. East Pool was jammed with waders including a
              > dancing immature reddish egret. But of real interest was the flyover of 25
              > white pelicans with another 14 resting on the mud flats of Stoney Bayou Pool
              > #1. Even had a single white pelican on the mudflats at headquarters pond. I
              > can't recall observing white pelicans at the refuge during the summer. I
              > would appreciate some feedback on their summertime occurrence on the
              > refuge.Many thanks,Harry HooperTallahassee, Florida

            • eliza hawkins
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2012
                I swear I saw a couple white pelicans flying past the capital today at lunch time.   Was I seeing things?   Anyone else see these?

                Eliza Hawkins
                ehawkins@...

              • Kathleen Carr
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2012
                  Didn't see these in particular, but I've seen them fly over downtown TLH before.

                  Kathleen Carr

                  Sent from my iPhone