Lake Jackson sightings

  • Rob Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      I went birding with Gail Menk this morning at different landings on the western side of Lake Jackson and briefly at San Luis Park.  Here's what we found:

      Pied-billed Grebe (1) -Retention pond behind Coca-cola Building off Hartsfield
      Anhinga (7)
      Great Egret (5)
      Little Blue Heron (1)
      Green Heron (3)
      Blue-winged Teal (75+) -Single flock flying toward south Lake Jackson
      Red-shouldered Hawk (3) -One at San Luis
      Red-Tailed Hawk (1)
      Northern Bobwhite (4)
      Common Moorhen (1)
      Solitary Sandpiper (1) -Gail has seen a solitary 3 days in a row.
      Mourning Dove (30+)
      Common NIghthawk (1) -Flying around the Winn-Dixie at US 27 N and Fred George Road
      Red-bellied Woodpecker (2)
      Downy Woodpecker (1)
      Great Crested Flycatcher (1)
      Eastern Kingbird (5)
      Barn Swallow (10+)
      Blue Jay (numerous)
      American Crow (4)
      Fish Crow (1)
      Carolina Chickadee (7+)
      Tufted Titmouse (1)
      Carolina Wren (5+)
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1)
      Gray Catbird (2)
      Northern Mockingbird (numerous)
      Brown Thrasher (2)
      Loggerhead Shrike (3)
      European Starling (10+)
      Red-eyed Vireo (1) -San Luis Mission
      Yellow Warbler (15!)
      Northern Cardinal (numerous)
      Red-winged Blackbird (20+) -all in flight
      Boat-tailed Grackle (2)
      Common Grackle (2)

      At home: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are still going strong at my feeder.  I still have a male and a few females; possibly one immature male - I can't tell yet.

      Happy Labor Day!
      Rob Lengacher