Alligator Pt./ Red-thr. Loons, Etc.

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2001
      Spurred into action by David Simpson's report of Surf Scoters with the
      rafting ducks, John Murphy and I scoped the Gulf off the KOA. The big raft
      of Scaup/Redheads was too far out now for easy pickin's. However we
      observed at least (6) Red-throated Loons drifting towards Mud Cove. There
      may have been others further out. As has been the case since Thanksgiving,
      Gannets were numerous.

      There were two shrimp boats working in the area, and a huge group of gulls
      had been attracted, maybe over a thousand birds. Unfortunately we didn't
      pick out any rarities.

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jdozier@...
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002

        Birdfeeder Base here, the goldfinch has landed. About a half-hour ago, there
        were six goldfinches on the thistle bag, five or more "in line", and about
        another dozen on the ground! Given the fact that we had *snow flurries*
        mixed in with the rain this morning, it's about time they used the feeder!

        However...about five minutes ago, the dog goes beserk at the back door. I
        look out, and here comes Ms. Opossum, looking for a snack. At first I tried
        to shush the mutt (good luck!) but then Ms. 'Possum climbs up onto the
        feeder (we use a converted kid's slide for a feeder platform, and she
        climbed the slide!) and started munching on the suet! (It appears she
        developed a taste for it when the birds ignored the last suet cake I had out
        there, it grew mold - yuk! - and I tossed it out into the weeds). At that
        point I decided enough was enough and chased off the offending critter, but
        by that time it had scared off all the birds. Oh well, given this weather,
        they'll be back. (The birds, hopefully not the possum).

        Life is never boring on the edge of the National Forest...

        -S.P.MacCumhail
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

        ---