Yard birds/Alligator Pt

  • southmoonunder@mchsi.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
      In spite of today's unseasonably warm weather, there was an abundance of bird
      activity in our yard. I tallied 59 species. Probably could've gotten more if
      I hadn't been distracted by black-eyed peas and football. Some notable species
      included:

      Pine Siskin
      Rufous Hummingbird (adult female)
      Am Avocet
      Am White Pelican (17)

      John Murphy
      Alligator Pt, FL
    • Linda Most
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2005
        Happy New Year everyone,
        I got back into Tallahassee Monday after two very busy, birdy weeks in South Florida including the West Palm Beach CBC which went very well this year. I hope the Tallahassee count was good.

        Today the feeders in Old Town were very active. 20 goldfinches jostling over the various perches, the Orange-crowned Warbler and the Downy W.P. came in for some suet, then a new yard bird came in: A female Baltimore Oriole! It came around 11:00 and again at about 4:30, so I quickly ran out and bought an oriole fruit/nectar/jelly feeder so I could try to attract it back. I hope it will stay around.

        Its good to be back.
        best to all,
        Linda Most

        ----------------------
        Conservation is sometimes perceived as stopping everything cold, as holding whooping cranes in higher esteem than people. It is up to science to spread the understanding that the choice is not between wild places or people, it is between a rich or an impoverished existence for man.

        - Thomas E. Lovejoy

      • Linda Most
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
          I have been seeing a Red-tailed Hawk soaring over the intersection of Tennessee and Monroe (usually just south-east of the intersection) pretty regularly when I go through at mid-day. This week I saw it perch on the antenna/mast of the Radisson Hotel. Pretty cool!

          Oriole update: the new feeder is apparently to "my" oriole's liking. The bird has been hanging around and visiting the feeder regularly since I put it up. It is drinking the nectar and picking at the fruit.

          best,
          Linda Most

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
            Hi again,
            The male oriole came to the feeders today, and he's banded (and gorgeous!). He has one aluminum(?) band. I can't read the numbers yet but will keep trying. If I get the numbers does anyone know where to report the info?

            thanks,
            Linda