Limpkins

  • Candy & Michael Hill
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2004
      On survey of Lake Munson today, 12-15, I encountered 2 limpkins in the northwestern cove of the lake. I have been receiving reports from a reliable resident for the past several months, but this is the first time I observed them. They were sitting on a floating mat and flushed as I went by. With the enormous number of the exotic golden apple snails out there we had hoped that this exotic invasion would have a silver lining (i.e. forage for the hard-to-find limpkin).

      Michael Hill

    • Carol Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
        Just had at least 5 limpkins in the area south of Lake Henrietta.

        Carol Miller
        Monticello

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Harry Hooper
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2014
          Afternoon nflbirders,

          A great place to view limpkins up close in Tallahassee is the Rhoden Cove Road boat landing on the southeast side of Lake Jackson.  Lynn and I were at the landing yesterday morning (0900-0930) observing butterflies and the limpkins were quite vocal, primarily due to a small boat returning to the landing.  One limpkin was feeding approximately 150 feet out from the landing, unperturbed with the passing boat and our presence.  Another was perched high in the nearby pines calling and there were at least to additional limpkins calling in the close proximity southeast of the landing.

          Each time we visit the landing to bird and butterfly, we are always guaranteed at least two to three of these beautiful and unique waders.

          Harry Hooper
          Tallahassee, Florida
        • John Erickson
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2014
            I counted 12 limpkins at the Fuller rd arm levees at Lake Jackson. Just now.
            J Erickson

            John Erickson
          • Candy and Michael Hill
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2014

              John,  in my forays on Jackson , over the years, I watched the encroachment of the exotic Island Apple snail spread from Meginnis Arm to Fords Arm and then become abundant in the south half of the lake.  I’ve also observed small flocks of limpkins on occasion.  It is no doubt due to the abundant apple snails.  While our native apple snail has white egg masses of <100 eggs, once common in Wakulla springs, the exotic apple snail lays those bubble-gum colored egg masses of over a thousand individual eggs!  I also speculate that the young apple snails are being feasted on by the redear sunfish (shell-cracker) which should be producing strong year-classes of redear to the enjoyment of bream anglers.  (I have yet to check the stomach content, however).   A silver lining to an invasive species:  more limpkins and shellcracker….   (and even the snail kite in south Florida )

              Michael Hill

              FWC Fishery biologist (Retired)