Summer Tanager

  • pmct32308
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2004
      I had a female Summer Tanager at my feeder this afternoon. There was
      lots of bird activity in the yard at the time.

      My first thought when I saw it was female Oriole, but it was not.
      The bill was large and not pointed like an Oriole - definitely
      Tanager shaped, the wings were only slightly darker than the breast,
      and there were no wingbars. I was only about 25 feet from the bird
      and had it in my binoculars. I think this is a very unusual sighting
      for this time of the year. By the time I got my camera, it was gone.

      The Rose-breasted Grosbeak is still here and is at the feeder as I
      write this.

      Pat McTarsney
      N.E. Tallahassee, Fl
    • dendroicagc
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
        There were two Summer Tanagers singing in my front yard on Pebble Hill
        this morning. No flying cigars just yet.
        -clark jones
        ___________________________________
        www.pinewoodsbirdfestival.com
      • Pam Flynn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
          All day yesterday, I watched a beautiful male summer tanager in my backyard. Haven't seen him yet today but keeping an eye out..
          He liked the peanuts.
          Pam Flynn
          Waverly

        • Fran Rutkovsky
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
            I had a female Summer Tanager at the suet feeder today.
            Last year I had one show up on Nov. 23 and stayed
            all winter. Same one?

            -----

            Fran Rutkovsky
            franrutkovsky@...
            Tallahassee, FL
          • swamphen@heirborn.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
              Took advantage of the free entry to state parks today and made a trip
              to St. George Island. I really should have picked an inland park...as
              the high coastal winds made the entire park nearly dead.

              Youth Camp: Dead as a doornail. A few shorebirds (including 3
              oystercatchers) at the boat ramp, and 2 osprey "hovering" overhead
              into the wind. And that was essentially *it*.

              Beach access #2: A lone, probable Magnificent Frigatebird, way, way,
              WAY out there on the edge of 10x50 binocular range, identifiable,
              essentially, only by "jizz". Also one juvenile gannet who was a fair
              bit closer.

              Campground ponds: one female Bufflehead, my first of the season.

              Sugar Hill beach access (end of the road): One Snowy Plover among the
              tame (and hungry) gulls.

              Beach access #1 at dusk: a gorgeous male Northern Harrier.

              -Sean P. McCool
              Wakulla County, Florida, USA.
            • SharonF
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 27, 2012
                Had a Summer Tanager in the bath the last couple of days. Havent seen one all summer.
                Also Had FOS Chipping Sparrow, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Northern Flicker. Glad to see my "winter friends" back.
                Sharon Fronk
                Old Town
                Dixie County
              • Janeen Engleman Langley
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 27, 2014

                  I had a male Summer Tanager bathing in the yard today.  This seems very early.  I was able to get a bunch of fuzzy photos, and will try to post one on the Yahoo site.

                  Janeen Langley

                  Northeast Tallahassee

                • Jim Stevenson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 27, 2014
                    That is a very interesting record, and leaves me wondering if this is a spring migrant. It would be very early, and we certainly have many winter records, but it is late enough that an incoming bird could be considered. As Sgt. Schultz used to say, “Very interesting.”

                    Jim
                    Tucacas, Venezuela

                    Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:00 PM
                    Subject: [nflbirds] Summer Tanager