Red-breasted Mergansers in Tally

  • Robert Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2004
      Saturday morning I had a couple of hours to myself, so I decided to take the
      Blairstone Road birding tour.

      I started at the north end of the Indianhead Acres Greenway:
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1)
      American Robins (20+)
      Cedar Waxwings (35+, FOTS)
      Eastern Phoebe (1)
      Red-shouldered Hawk (1)

      I then hit the large retention pond NE of Governor's Square Mall on
      Blairstone. It looks like the recently performed some maintenance on their
      sand filter exposing a small mudflat. This spot may produce a shorebird or
      two it anyone bothers to check it:
      Wood Duck (11)
      Hooded Merganser (3 male, FOTS)
      RED-BREASTED MERGANSER (2 females or first winter males, Field Marks noted:
      spiky "red-breasted type" crest; longer, reddish, slightly-decurved bill;
      more erect stance in the water, larger in size than the Hooded males)
      American Robins (150+)
      Yellow-rumped Warblers (150+)
      Killdeer (4)

      Governor's Park at the end of Ty Ty. This location produced Dark-eyed
      Juncos on last year's Christmas Count and is absolutely beautiful! The large
      house may be hosting squatters, so please be safe if you visit early or late
      in the day:
      Pine Warbler (4)
      Cedar Waxwing (15)
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (100+)
      Northern Flicker (3)
      Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (2)
      American Robin (100+)
      House Wren (1)
      Brown-headed Nuthatch (2)

      Area just north of the Leon County Public Works Administration Division on
      the west side of Blairstone. This just looked "sparrowy":
      Chipping Sparrow (3, FOTS)
      Song Sparrow (3, FOTS)
      Eastern Phoebe (2)
      House Wren (1)
      Palm Warbler (3)
      Osprey (1)

      Goose Pond along Potts Road. As part of the Blairstone Road project, they
      have added landscape and improved water flow for Goose Pond itself. The
      pond itself is still a mess, but there is potential:
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (150+)
      Swamp Sparrow (1, FOTS)
      Common Yellowthroat (1)

      Rob Lengacher