Springhill Rd STF (Dec 18)

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2001
      Last night I forgot to include the following in my report:

      Green-winged Teal (30+)

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

      ---
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2001

        Early this afternoon, I found two male House Finches on a power line in
        front of a farm on High Drive in Crawfordville.

        Also, I saw something I've never seen before in Tallahassee: House Sparrows,
        huddling on the pavement, up against car tires (in a parking lot), fluffed
        up and staying perfectly still, trying to keep warm! It's COLD out there,
        folks!

        Merry Christmas!
        Let It Snow!
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 25, 2001

          Went down to Saint Marks NWR today to search for the Ross's Goose (reported
          yesterday on FLBIRDS). At the goose location, I found Pintail Central, but
          no geese of any sort...until I had just finished packing up the scope,
          looked up and a HUGE flock of 200+ white and dark large birds milling about
          way down the (closed :-( ) levee! By the time I got the scope back out, they
          had all landed, but a few distant glimpses through the reeds revealed that
          the birds were, in fact, Snow Geese. So, if the Ross's is still there, it's
          WAY past the "Levee Closed" sign, at least tonight.

          Directions from FLBIRDS:
          >>It was in the closed area beyond Tower Pond. It could be seen from the
          point where the "levee is closed" sign is. It was with a blue phase snow
          goose and a white-fronted goose.<<

          It should be noted that this location is past the observation platform, on
          Levee "133".

          Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good "flight"!