Springhill STF [Dec 18]

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2001
      Arrrgh, if only I'd known about the geese yesterday! :-(

      Yesterday, at Springhill STF, there were ducks. Lots of ducks. Lots and lots
      and LOTS of ducks...and not a single Ring-necked in the bunch!

      A note, I noticed that the largest of the ponds up by the buildings had had
      cables strung across it, probably as a "No Cormorants Allowed" warning. Note
      to management - didn't work, as although their numbers were reduced, the
      cormorants were still in there.

      Bird list...A.O.U. Order
      Springhill STF -- December 18 2001
      ----------------------------------
      Pied-billed Grebe (4)
      Double-crested Cormorant (12+)
      Snowy Egret (4)
      White Ibis (100+)
      Gadwall (4+)
      Blue-winged Teal (25+)
      Mallard (50+)
      Northern Shoveler (20+)
      Redhead (10+)
      Lesser Scaup (200+)
      Bufflehead (25+)
      MERLIN (1)
      AMERICAN AVOCET (7)
      Killdeer (lots)
      Greater Yellowlegs (lots)
      Lesser Yellowlegs (2-3)
      Western Sandpiper (2-3)
      Least Sandpiper (12+)
      Ring-billed Gull (about 50)
      Eurasian Collared-Dove (2)
      AMERICAN PIPIT (2)
      Northern Mockingbird (2)
      European Starling (25+)

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2001
        Last night I forgot to include the following in my report:

        Green-winged Teal (30+)

        -S.P.MacCumhail
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

        ---
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 25, 2001

          Early this afternoon, I found two male House Finches on a power line in
          front of a farm on High Drive in Crawfordville.

          Also, I saw something I've never seen before in Tallahassee: House Sparrows,
          huddling on the pavement, up against car tires (in a parking lot), fluffed
          up and staying perfectly still, trying to keep warm! It's COLD out there,
          folks!

          Merry Christmas!
          Let It Snow!
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 25, 2001

            Went down to Saint Marks NWR today to search for the Ross's Goose (reported
            yesterday on FLBIRDS). At the goose location, I found Pintail Central, but
            no geese of any sort...until I had just finished packing up the scope,
            looked up and a HUGE flock of 200+ white and dark large birds milling about
            way down the (closed :-( ) levee! By the time I got the scope back out, they
            had all landed, but a few distant glimpses through the reeds revealed that
            the birds were, in fact, Snow Geese. So, if the Ross's is still there, it's
            WAY past the "Levee Closed" sign, at least tonight.

            Directions from FLBIRDS:
            >>It was in the closed area beyond Tower Pond. It could be seen from the
            point where the "levee is closed" sign is. It was with a blue phase snow
            goose and a white-fronted goose.<<

            It should be noted that this location is past the observation platform, on
            Levee "133".

            Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good "flight"!