Last Few Days ...Migrant Activity, Bald Pt., SMNWR

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2004
      29 SEP 04 Bald Pt./Yard: Ad M GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER was the
      star of the day. Hung around the viney areas of back yard, and once flew
      to the sprinkler, but was scared away as I approached the window with the
      big camera/lens to record it (darn!). They have always seems wary to
      me. Yesterday's MAGNOLIA WARBLER was spied again, as were PINE WARBLERS,
      COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (ad M). A NORTHERN PARULA was seen working the
      higher limbs, and an Un-Id'd Empidonax was high up in a leafy yard
      tree. Very green, but I could get no tell tale signs, except definitely an
      Empid. A young BLUE GROSBEAK paid a short visit, as did a F plumaged
      SUMMER TANAGER. (I heard the tanagers in Leon Co.and Grady Co., GA this
      week, but beachbirds have been absent for a couple of weeks.) At least
      (6) Northern Mockingbirds attacked my one small pokeweed in the middle of
      the back yard at once! Extra BROWN THRASHERS have been seen around the
      yard, and one at SMNWR near the Lighthouse where we know they don't
      breed. Catbirds, VEERIES, WEVI, REVI, PRAIRIE WARBLERS, have also visited
      it during the week. Also in the yard there were at least (4) B&W
      Warblers., and some warbler types that got away. I had a M HOODED WARBLER
      with JM at Bald Pt. At Bald Pt. There was a good flight of BARN SWALLOWS,
      maybe 100+, pushing onward as if headed down the peninsula, before real
      dark they were all gone. Great Horned Owl heard at Bald Pt. COOPERS
      HAWKS, RED_TAILED HAWKS, and NORTHERN HARRIERS (one an adult M) sailing by,
      always going towards the Big Bend (presumably to continue down the
      peninsula). Also had a young Peregrine that probably roosted in a pine in
      the back yard . I saw it a few minutes after 8 o'clock. At 10 o'clock it
      stretched its wings, but didn't fly off until after 11 o'clock. Of course
      it may have fed earlier than 8 o'clock, and I didn't notice, but I didn't
      see it eating anything. I think it was waiting on warmer air, because
      TURKEY VULTURES sailed about a few minutes before it left.

      Yesterday I had the MAGNOLIA WARBLER in the yard for my f-o-t-s, and just
      outside of SMNWR I saw a young WILD TURKEY, not rare, but hard to
      see. Lots of terns, gulls, and a few shorebirds were behind the
      lighthouse. I easily got WILSON'S PLOVER, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, but
      Semipalmated Plovers were conspicuous by their absence. A few dozen
      WILLETS, and DOWITCHERS, and sandpipers, at least some WESTERNS and LEASTS;
      no Semipalmated Sandpipers for sure. One MARBLED GODWIT and a BLACK
      SKIMMER. I did see two YELLOW WARBLERS on the road to the
      lighthouse. PURPLE GALLINULES were easily seen at the Headquarters Pond,
      and COMMON MOORHENS still had some pretty young chicks.

      Great big moon during the last few days provided an excellent opportunity
      to set up a scope and observe fly-by migrants at night. I didn't this time
      (shame), but I have in the past. Try about 30 minutes of it. You can
      often recognize some like kingfishers, herons, and guess at the rest,
      unless you can hear them. The thrushes in particular can be distinguished
      by their night call notes. There is a CD for it (by Evans, on sale at
      ABA). It is said we have a billion or more birds migrating from N to S,
      and maybe half will not make the return trip due to some sort of
      casualty. Try your luck. JD

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jackdozier@...