red breasted nuthatch

  • Linda Most
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi again, thanks for all your kind words of welcome. Vince and others have asked for details on my identification of this bird, which I am happy to provide: I saw a small bird with warm light rusty underparts, grey back, black head with a white stripe and throat. It was moving up, down, and around the trunk of the oaks at the end of Baker Street (which backs up to a large wooded area) and it flared its little stubby tail when it flew. I did not know what it was when I saw it but it behaved like a nuthatch and we have White-breasted Nuthatches coming to the feeders all day long so I watched it for about five or ten minutes and then went to look it up. I identified it using Sibley and Peterson. It matched the female perfectly. I guess I didn't realize how uncommon they are in this area.

      I would have reported it right away if I had realized it was so uncommon. I have not seen it since the weekend but if I see it again I'll be sure to let people know.
      Linda Most
      Tallahassee

      vlucas <vlucas@...> wrote:
      Linda Most said:

      >The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer,
      >and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

      Hi Linda:

      I know (of you) from Palm Beach County. I'm in Naples. Isn't Red-breasted
      Nuthatch, which is rare at any time period for Florida, but mostly seen
      in irruptive years in winter, extremely early for the end of August? Per
      Stevenson & Anderson, I believe the earliest accepted record for Florida
      is mid-September. . . . That's a fantastic sighting, if accurate.

      Cheers.

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples
      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Joseph Dodge
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
        I'm not sure about dates, but they aren't that uncommon in this area as a general proposition. I've seen them on a fairly regular basis at Birdsong and at two spots in SMNWR.
        -Joseph Dodge

        vlucas <vlucas@...> wrote:
        Linda Most said:

        >The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer,
        >and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

        Hi Linda:

        I know (of you) from Palm Beach County. I'm in Naples. Isn't Red-breasted
        Nuthatch, which is rare at any time period for Florida, but mostly seen
        in irruptive years in winter, extremely early for the end of August? Per
        Stevenson & Anderson, I believe the earliest accepted record for Florida
        is mid-September. . . . That's a fantastic sighting, if accurate.

        Cheers.

        Vincent Lucas
        Naples
        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Doug Wassmer & Lilian Saul
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
          Well Joseph, we've been looking for these for years in Florida. Would you
          pinpoint your two St Marks NWR sites so that we can check for them next time
          we are on the refuge? Thanks

          Doug Wassmer & Lilian saul

          Tampa, Fl

          Dwassme1@...

          vlucas <vlucas@...> wrote:
          Linda Most said:

          >The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer,
          >and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

          Hi Linda:

          I know (of you) from Palm Beach County. I'm in Naples. Isn't Red-breasted
          Nuthatch, which is rare at any time period for Florida, but mostly seen
          in irruptive years in winter, extremely early for the end of August? Per
          Stevenson & Anderson, I believe the earliest accepted record for Florida
          is mid-September. . . . That's a fantastic sighting, if accurate.

          Cheers.

          Vincent Lucas
          Naples
          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299l0c0m/M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1094152336/A=2195326/R=2/SIG=12ico5op5/*http:/clk.a
          tdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon00700677von/direct/01/&time=1094065936376109>

          <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon00700677von/direct/01/&time=10940659
          36376109>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2195326/rand=925132445>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Edwwjr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2005
            About 4:30 Tuesday afternoon I had a flock of 16 white ibis over the park at
            the west end of the lake. Only 1 was in juvenile plumage.

            Also:

            2 Wilson's snipe
            2 calling barred owls
            2 belted kingfisher
            1 eastern phoebe
            1 little blue heron
            1 great blue heron
            1 great egret
            a small flock of female red winged blackbirds
            1 red tail hawk

            Ed Woodruff

          • eliza hawkins
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2016
              Just heard one in Betton Hills near Trescott and Cline.

            • <patriciahefner@...>
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 30, 2016
                Another red breasted nuthatch. Send that sweetie north!
                Patricia
                In support of my canaries Irina and Persephone