new to list and Tallahassee

  • Linda Most
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2004

      I guess its time for me to surface and introduce myself, as well as say "Hi, I'm here", to those I already know. I'm Linda Most, from Palm Beach County, but now, as promised, in Tally to attend FSU again. I got in about two weeks ago, and so far have only been birding in the yard and neighborhood where I'm living, off Hillcrest.

      Today was the highlight so far. There are several feeders in the yard, which is wooded and backs up to the wooded areas behind Leon High, so there is lots of cover for songbirds and other critters. Tonight at around six, I noticed a huge hawk eating a rat, perched on a large owl box in the back. I'm not sure because I was so startled by the bird, but my best thoughts are juvenile red-tail, or, more probably, juvenile female Cooper's though I never saw the bird from the front. I was looking at the bird pretty much straight on to a side-back view. I saw fairly long strong yellow legs, with white flanks, a dark tail with a few narrow white stripes, with a white terminal band, and a very dark back and head, with streaking on the side of the light neck.

      During the previous week I saw a mature red-tailed hawk fly into the trees on the west side of Magnolia, north of Tennessee. Now I know why the yard-birds disappear every so often.

      The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer, and a Red-breasted Nuthatch. Its a big change from South Florida! I'm looking forward to building my yard list, and I hope to get out birding as much as school work will permit.

      See you in the field,

      Linda

    • vlucas
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2004
        Linda Most said:

        >The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer,
        >and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

        Hi Linda:

        I know (of you) from Palm Beach County. I'm in Naples. Isn't Red-breasted
        Nuthatch, which is rare at any time period for Florida, but mostly seen
        in irruptive years in winter, extremely early for the end of August? Per
        Stevenson & Anderson, I believe the earliest accepted record for Florida
        is mid-September. . . . That's a fantastic sighting, if accurate.

        Cheers.

        Vincent Lucas
        Naples
      • Linda Most
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hi again, thanks for all your kind words of welcome. Vince and others have asked for details on my identification of this bird, which I am happy to provide: I saw a small bird with warm light rusty underparts, grey back, black head with a white stripe and throat. It was moving up, down, and around the trunk of the oaks at the end of Baker Street (which backs up to a large wooded area) and it flared its little stubby tail when it flew. I did not know what it was when I saw it but it behaved like a nuthatch and we have White-breasted Nuthatches coming to the feeders all day long so I watched it for about five or ten minutes and then went to look it up. I identified it using Sibley and Peterson. It matched the female perfectly. I guess I didn't realize how uncommon they are in this area.

          I would have reported it right away if I had realized it was so uncommon. I have not seen it since the weekend but if I see it again I'll be sure to let people know.
          Linda Most
          Tallahassee

          vlucas <vlucas@...> wrote:
          Linda Most said:

          >The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer,
          >and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

          Hi Linda:

          I know (of you) from Palm Beach County. I'm in Naples. Isn't Red-breasted
          Nuthatch, which is rare at any time period for Florida, but mostly seen
          in irruptive years in winter, extremely early for the end of August? Per
          Stevenson & Anderson, I believe the earliest accepted record for Florida
          is mid-September. . . . That's a fantastic sighting, if accurate.

          Cheers.

          Vincent Lucas
          Naples
          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Joseph Dodge
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
            I'm not sure about dates, but they aren't that uncommon in this area as a general proposition. I've seen them on a fairly regular basis at Birdsong and at two spots in SMNWR.
            -Joseph Dodge

            vlucas <vlucas@...> wrote:
            Linda Most said:

            >The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer,
            >and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

            Hi Linda:

            I know (of you) from Palm Beach County. I'm in Naples. Isn't Red-breasted
            Nuthatch, which is rare at any time period for Florida, but mostly seen
            in irruptive years in winter, extremely early for the end of August? Per
            Stevenson & Anderson, I believe the earliest accepted record for Florida
            is mid-September. . . . That's a fantastic sighting, if accurate.

            Cheers.

            Vincent Lucas
            Naples
            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Doug Wassmer & Lilian Saul
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
              Well Joseph, we've been looking for these for years in Florida. Would you
              pinpoint your two St Marks NWR sites so that we can check for them next time
              we are on the refuge? Thanks

              Doug Wassmer & Lilian saul

              Tampa, Fl

              Dwassme1@...

              vlucas <vlucas@...> wrote:
              Linda Most said:

              >The best of the other yard birds so far have been a Ruby-throated Hummer,
              >and a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

              Hi Linda:

              I know (of you) from Palm Beach County. I'm in Naples. Isn't Red-breasted
              Nuthatch, which is rare at any time period for Florida, but mostly seen
              in irruptive years in winter, extremely early for the end of August? Per
              Stevenson & Anderson, I believe the earliest accepted record for Florida
              is mid-September. . . . That's a fantastic sighting, if accurate.

              Cheers.

              Vincent Lucas
              Naples
              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299l0c0m/M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1094152336/A=2195326/R=2/SIG=12ico5op5/*http:/clk.a
              tdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon00700677von/direct/01/&time=1094065936376109>

              <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon00700677von/direct/01/&time=10940659
              36376109>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2195326/rand=925132445>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Edwwjr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
                About 4:30 Tuesday afternoon I had a flock of 16 white ibis over the park at
                the west end of the lake. Only 1 was in juvenile plumage.

                Also:

                2 Wilson's snipe
                2 calling barred owls
                2 belted kingfisher
                1 eastern phoebe
                1 little blue heron
                1 great blue heron
                1 great egret
                a small flock of female red winged blackbirds
                1 red tail hawk

                Ed Woodruff