Shorebird RFI

  • R. D. Wallace
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      Calling all FL birders - I would like to read updates from anyone who has looked for shorebirds at MINWR, Zellwood (is access possible?), Ft. Walton Sprayfields, St. Marks, Ft. DeSoto, western Palm Beach County, Homestead racetrack, or any of the other shorebird stopover spots. So far there have been very few reports from anywhere.

      This is the time to watch for Hudsonian or other Godwits, Stints (there was a Red-necked Stint reported in DE on Saturday), Curlew Sandpipers, Ruffs, and any of the other possibilities that are out there.

      I have been watching Ponce Inlet regularly, and have found the following 16 species, nothing rare:

      Black-necked Stilt
      Black-bellied Plover
      Semipalmated Plover
      Piping Plover
      Wilson's Plover
      Marbled Godwit
      Whimbrel
      Willet
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Red Knot
      SB Dowitcher
      Sanderling
      Ruddy Turnstone
      Western Sandpiper
      Least Sandpiper
      Semipalmated Sandpiper

      Thanks and keep us updated! If you see a Hudsonian or other rare Godwit, call me immediately at 352-219-5825!

      Bob Wallace
      Alachua