Saturday Tallahassee

  • Edwwjr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 9:54 AM
      Michael Evans and I birded around Tallahassee Saturday morning. At Black
      Swamp West (by the FSU golf course) between 8:00 and 9:15, we had great looks at
      several male and female prothonotary warblers and a yellow throated warbler.
      The sun striking the prothonotaries made them look like they were glowing. We
      had several singing northern parula and heard a hooded warbler call twice.
      Could not find the hooded.

      Also had several downy woodpeckers feeding young, great crested flycatchers,
      and 6+ blue-gray gnatcatchers.

      Tried Church's and only found Canada geese, wood duck with young, and eastern
      kingbird.

      Looked over the fence at Springhill Road STP. Lots of baby mallards. There
      are quite a few (40+) small shorebirds in the westernmost pond which is almost
      dry. We didn't go inside to try for an id though.

      Koucky Park had parula and cardinals calling, but nothing else was calling or
      flying.

      Ed Woodruff