Lincoln's Sparrow at St. George Island, April 27th

  • Dean Jue
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2004
      Tuesday morning, Jim Cavanagh, Kate Malone, Ann Turner and I observed a LINCOLN'S SPARROW foraging with a group of Red-winged Blackbirds at the back of the youth campground at St. George Island State Park. This was the first time any of us had seen this species on the island. The bird was on the grass in the open so we got good looks at the buffy malar stripe, gray supercilium and neck, gray median crown-stripe, thin eye-ring, and finely streaked breast with buffy wash,

      There were many Cape May Warblers in the oaks and palmettos near the rest rooms, and smaller numbers of other warbler species in the hammocks including Blackpolls, Prairies, American Redstarts, one Magnolia, and one male Black-throated Blue. The weather was gorgeous, which is probably why many of the birds present on Tuesday afternoon (such as numerous cuckoos reported by Ann) were no longer around!

      Sally (for Jim Cavanagh, who tried to post this earlier but was unsuccessful)

      Dean and Sally Jue
      dsjue@...