Century Run - Leon, Wakulla Co.

  • Limeybirder@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi all

      Decided to try and break a ton today so got up early and headed out to see
      what I could muster.

      The First species of the day was actually in the bag at 1am when our resident
      BARRED OWL hooted for a few. Then at 6am I headed over to Indianhead Park and
      listened to the dawn chorus which produced what you might expect.
      Then headed south on 319 and then west on 267 into Apalachicola NF. Took FR
      309 and then 350 to the area described in Pranty's guide. Within 50 yards of
      the car I had RED-COCKADED WOODPECKER (3), BACHMAN'S SPARROW (4 singing) and a
      small flock of BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCHES.
      From there I headed back out to the 319 and then turned south for Mashes
      Sands. A good choice as it was teeming with shorebirds. Highlights included
      MARBLED GODWIT (1), SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER (2 in breeding plumage), RUDDY TURNSTONE
      (1 in breeding plumage), BONAPARTE'S GULL (6 incl. 1 in breeding plumage). In
      the margins by the side of the road about 50 yards from the car park I had
      great views of CLAPPER RAIL (2).
      I paid a short visit to Bald Point and Alligator Point but didn't have that
      many new species for the day although there were a lot of BARN and NORTHERN
      ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS around.
      St. Marks NWR was next on the agenda. Along 98 I had a BROAD-WINGED HAWK
      circling over the road. YELLOW-THROATED and RED-EYED VIREOS were singing their
      heads off between the visitor center and the two bridges area. At Headquarter's
      pond there weren't many songbirds but the pond had SORA (2), PURPLE GALLINULE
      (2 - mating), B C NIGHT HERON (1) and whilst on the platform (6) EASTERN
      KINGBIRDS dropped in and began flycatching around the edge of the pond. There
      weren't that many shorebirds on Tower Pond but a STILT SANDPIPER and BLACK-NECKED
      STILTS were nice.
      Down at the lighthouse my 100th species of the day was WILSON'S PLOVER but
      the next two species were my highlights of the day, PROTHONOTARY WARBLER and a
      cracking male SCARLET TANAGER. Both looked very weary and allowed me to get
      pretty close.
      I headed on home to let the dog out and had WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH in our
      front yard and then went to Springhill Sewage Plant. Nothing different from my
      visit yesterday except there were more hirundines and a pair of RING-NECKED
      DUCKS. My final addition to the day list was a fine male EASTERN BLUEBIRD making
      it a grand total of 115 species for the day.

      Good birding

      Andy Wraithmell
      Tallahassee

      ps If anybody would like to go birding with me during weekdays then I'd be
      happy to have you along. email me or call 850-425-1170.