Today's Sightings: Hooded Mergansers

  • Rob Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2001
      I dropped by Faulk Drive Landing on Lake Jackson to see if the female Vermilion Flycatcher (or Pink-bellied Phoebe as Marvin Collins joked) was still there. It was not. I did see a couple of American Kestrels, a Red-tailed Hawk, an Osprey, some Phoebes, a Loggerhead Shrike and what looked to be two Peregrine Falcons. I can't be sure of the Falcons because I didn't have my binocs. The size and shape of Peregrines along with their flight pattern are pretty distinctive, though.

      Later, from 2 - 4, I birded Tom Brown Park on the east side of Tallahassee. This was basically a scouting trip because I have never birded there before. There was not much activity, but I have a better idea of what I might find under better circumstances. Here's a list of species in no particular order:

      Red-bellied Woodpecker
      Red-headed Woodpecker
      Eastern Phoebe
      Carolina Chickadee
      Tufted Titmouse
      N. Mockingbird
      N. Cardinal
      Ruby-throated Kinglet
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      White-eyed Vireo -This is a life bird for me. Although I have known the call for some time, I have never caught sight of one. I got a spectacular look when I pished and he posed for me about 10 feet away.
      Am. Goldfinch -Lots of them back in the woods. They like those Sweet Gum Trees.
      Song Sparrow

      LOCATION: Small pond bordered by Centerville Road, Trescott, and Laguna (a dead end).
      Hooded Mergansers (6+) I never saw them all at the same time. There were at least 3 males and 3 females, but there could have been a few more. This pond usually only holds a ton of Canada Geese and a few Muscovy Ducks, but I spotted an unusual flash of white as I passed by on Centerville. What a great find in town for me; the males are simply stunning! Another life bird!

      Rob Lengacher
      Tallahassee, FL
      rlengach@...